Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Troubleshooting Filter Problem Low Return Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Troubleshooting Filter Problem Low Return Pressure

Sorry if im such a newbie here but.. I opened up my inground pool for the first time, just bought the house. Pool was BLACK. I believe it was neglected for at least a year. Got it to a milky blue/white right now, but there is a problem with my DE filter.. (I think its the filter). Upon a fresh start up with new DE the returns shoots out strong and the suction at the skimmers is ok, but within a hour the returns are barley pumping out and there is minimal suction at the skimmers. If i back wash and start up again, same thing happens with in a hour. Please let me know your opinions. Thank You. - Jim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Troubleshooting Filter Problem Low Return Pressure

Hi Jennihj,
    welcome to TFP.

your DE filter is doing it's job. Its filtering out all of the gunk in the pool and in doing so, is starting to clog because there is so much of it.

You need to backwash or clean your filter VERY often in these types of situations where you have ugly water.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I work 8-10 hours a day, so I can only keep the filter running when I'm home, which in result is leading to a dirty pool. I don't want to keep it running while I'm not home because this will strain the motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

Tough situation. You'll have to get to a point where it can run, and make the stretch until you get home. Perhaps this Holiday/long weekend will give you some time to work towards that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it normal for the filter to clog like that, that quick? Its almost every hour I'm back washing and mowing through DE... Could it be another issue? Anything else I can check?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dennihj View Post
    Is it normal for the filter to clog like that, that quick? Its almost every hour I'm back washing and mowing through DE... Could it be another issue? Anything else I can check?
    It's perfectly normal with dirty water. Your filter is doing its job. That's a positive and negative for a DE filter. They are really good at filtering.

The best way to proceed is to put the filter on recirculate before you leave for work so you get chemical circulation and then set it back to filter when you are home.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

how do I set it to recirculate.. Sorry I'm so new with pools.. I have a hayward perflex EC75A filter with a standard one valve set up that has a 3 way jandy valve.. (Main drain skimmers and pump)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dennihj View Post
    how do I set it to recirculate.. Sorry I'm so new with pools.. I have a hayward perflex EC75A filter with a standard one valve set up that has a 3 way jandy valve.. (Main drain skimmers and pump)
    Well, you are kind of between a rock and a hard place then because your filter doesn't have the ability to recirculate. You'll just have to do the best you can to keep the circulation going until it gets better.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat