Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Lights big versus small

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Lights big versus small

I'm working with a pool builder to design and build an in-ground pool. I love the picture on internet showing underwater pool lights. My builder is recommending 4 Hayward AC 320 lights (like at his pool). I've seen his pool and was unimpressed by the illumination given off by the smaller accent lights. I noticed the smaller accent light he had in the deep end (8 ft for diving) did a poor job of illuminating the bottom. I'm going to go with Hayward so I can control with Hayward's OmniLogic system. I'm not sure if I should go with 2 larger lights (Hayward ColorLogic 4.0), or go with 1 larger light, and 2 or 3 of the Hayward 320 accent lights for the shallow end. My Pool with be free-form 22-38 plus 6 feet ledge with 2 additional Hayward bubbler lights imbedded in the ledge. Four Pentair Laminars will round out my planned pool lighting. Does anyone have experience with making this type of decision? Another question... Should I use accent lighting to illuminate the step that I'll have? Thanks! Charlie

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Pool Lights big versus small

Welcome to TFP! I don't have an answer for you, but I am sure someone else may have some input.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Central MD

I have two Hayward Color Logic 4.0 lights. Our pool size is rectangle 18x38. I am very pleased with this setup and would recommend it. Your two bubbler lights for the shelf are also a good idea from what I've seen here as shelves tend to block light from the main lights.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

4. Back To Top    #4
    TFP Guide
    Odessa, TX

I operate off the theory that it's hard to have too much light.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor