TFPC Question

Jun 9, 2014
clinton
This will be my 1st season using tfpc method. Previously id shock the pool once a week just because i was told to by other pool owners. My water is nice and clear with the exception of helicopter seeds and some fine dirt settling on the bottom. Do i still need to shock or slam at all if all my lelevels and water are good?

If you post a set of test results we can tell you if you may need to slam or not. If you have visible algae, or CC over 1.0 you will need to slam, even if the water is clear. If your water is clean and your test results are within the recommended range for your pool then you don't need to slam.

Fc-3.0
Cc-.2
Ph-7.5
Ta-130
Ch-120
Cya-45.
Pretty sure im good (with exception of ta and ch which i haven't messed with yet)i was just wondering in general if there was any reason to raise fc up if there were no problems.
TA will come down by itself as you add acid to maintain pH. No reason to go to any special trouble to lower it. CH is not a problem with a doughboy. It's got a vinyl liner.

Your FC is too low. It should never dip below 4 with 45 CYA. When you add bleach, target 6 and check the next day. If it's 4 or better, great. If it's below 4, target 7 the next time. If you keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA according to this chart, you won't get algae and you'll never need to "shock" the pool.

Also note that you can use a 10 ml sample for the FC test and count each drop as .5. It saves reagents and is accurate enough for your purposes.

If you're trying to save money by using up leftover "shock" powders, note that they will raise the CYA, which means you will also need to raise the minimum FC level. Pucks also raise CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.