Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFPC Question

1. Back To Top    #1

TFPC Question

This will be my 1st season using tfpc method. Previously id shock the pool once a week just because i was told to by other pool owners. My water is nice and clear with the exception of helicopter seeds and some fine dirt settling on the bottom. Do i still need to shock or slam at all if all my lelevels and water are good?
    Dough boy 15,000gal 1hp hayward pump, 20" meteor sand filter, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFPC Question

If you post a set of test results we can tell you if you may need to slam or not. If you have visible algae, or CC over 1.0 you will need to slam, even if the water is clear. If your water is clean and your test results are within the recommended range for your pool then you don't need to slam.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We need some Taylor stats on your pool to know
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Fc-3.0
    Cc-.2
    Ph-7.5
    Ta-130
    Ch-120
    Cya-45.
    Pretty sure im good (with exception of ta and ch which i haven't messed with yet)i was just wondering in general if there was any reason to raise fc up if there were no problems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kennyholt View Post
    Fc-3.0
    Cc-.2
    Ph-7.5
    Ta-130
    Ch-120
    Cya-45.
    Pretty sure im good (with exception of ta and ch which i haven't messed with yet)i was just wondering in general if there was any reason to raise fc up if there were no problems.
    TA will come down by itself as you add acid to maintain pH. No reason to go to any special trouble to lower it. CH is not a problem with a doughboy. It's got a vinyl liner.

Your FC is too low. It should never dip below 4 with 45 CYA. When you add bleach, target 6 and check the next day. If it's 4 or better, great. If it's below 4, target 7 the next time. If you keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA according to this chart, you won't get algae and you'll never need to "shock" the pool.

Also note that you can use a 10 ml sample for the FC test and count each drop as .5. It saves reagents and is accurate enough for your purposes.

If you're trying to save money by using up leftover "shock" powders, note that they will raise the CYA, which means you will also need to raise the minimum FC level. Pucks also raise CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the great information, im gonna go out now and test and raise my fc.