Sun Damage to the liner

May 6, 2015
San Jose, CA
I haven't seen much on the topic of sun damage, so hopefully some good ideas or suggestions will come from this. I live in California where the summers are long and HOT. My pool sits in direct sunlight the entire day and therefore takes quite a beating. Back a few years ago when I had the quick-set pools with the inflatable ring, the sun would destroy it by the second season. I used to think the ring was defective because it would always lose air, I would spend hours like a cuckoo bird searching for the hole. Then by season two the ring would disintegrate just looking at it.

It was exciting to have a new and improved bigger pool that does not have the inflatable ring. The outside of the liner is a light gray so I was hoping this would help combat sun damage. But by the end of the summer last year the tops of the liner suspended on the frame had already discolored. My mind went into preventative mode.

I tried to modify a pool noodle to wrap around with no such luck. I looked into foam pole wraps but they were ridiculously expensive. Thought about cutting up and old raft and using to wrap but thought it might actually compound the problem due to the heat. I ended up going to Lowes and buying a shower pan liner which looks more like a rubber mat. It was sold by the foot and was already premarked in 12" wide columns. I think I bought about 6 feet and had a ton leftover. I cut each piece 6x30 and used a hole punch to put two holes on each end. I draped the rubber barrier over the liner and fed a 14" cable tie around the frame and through the holes to secure. I made sure the cable tie connection was under the frame to prevent snags. I snipped off the extra for ascetics! Since the liner material is gray it blends pretty well and doesn't look too ghetto. So far it doesn't seem to get any hotter than the frame.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?

I haven't seen much on the topic of sun damage, so hopefully some good ideas or suggestions will come from this. I live in California where the summers are long and HOT. My pool sits in direct sunlight the entire day and therefore takes quite a beating. Back a few years ago when I had the quick-set pools with the inflatable ring, the sun would destroy it by the second season. I used to think the ring was defective because it would always lose air, I would spend hours like a cuckoo bird searching for the hole. Then by season two the ring would disintegrate just looking at it.

It was exciting to have a new and improved bigger pool that does not have the inflatable ring. The outside of the liner is a light gray so I was hoping this would help combat sun damage. But by the end of the summer last year the tops of the liner suspended on the frame had already discolored. My mind went into preventative mode.

I tried to modify a pool noodle to wrap around with no such luck. I looked into foam pole wraps but they were ridiculously expensive. Thought about cutting up and old raft and using to wrap but thought it might actually compound the problem due to the heat. I ended up going to Lowes and buying a shower pan liner which looks more like a rubber mat. It was sold by the foot and was already premarked in 12" wide columns. I think I bought about 6 feet and had a ton leftover. I cut each piece 6x30 and used a hole punch to put two holes on each end. I draped the rubber barrier over the liner and fed a 14" cable tie around the frame and through the holes to secure. I made sure the cable tie connection was under the frame to prevent snags. I snipped off the extra for ascetics! Since the liner material is gray it blends pretty well and doesn't look too ghetto. So far it doesn't seem to get any hotter than the frame.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?
We just started having this issue last year 2019 and tried the pool noodles. They are very messy and cause more of a headache. I would love to try the shower pan liner. Do you have any pics of the liner on your pool or just the liner you used?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.