Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I want to deep clean my sand filter...

1. Back To Top    #1

I want to deep clean my sand filter...

I am positive my sand filter has never been cleaned, let alone deep clean. Already started the pool for the season, can I still do a deep clean? If so , do I disconnect all the plumbing from the sand filter? or is there an easier way? Thanks for all your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I want to deep clean my sand filter...

You need to be able to remove the top of the filter to get to the sand. If you have a multiport on the side then just remove the top. If the multiport is on top then you may need to cut the pipes if you do not have unions. If you do not have unions this would be a good time to add them to your set up. Post a picture of your filter and plumbing and we can tell you if there is any alternative.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Nope, no easier way. You gotta be able to get the multiport off. Did mine last year and re-plumbed one more union into the mix so it's a no brainer next time. I suggest you reach in and scoop all the gunk out off the top with your hands as possible before floating all the rest out with a hose jabbing it gently into the sand bed. You ain't gonna believe how much will be caked up around the top edge of the sand bed.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a dandy instructional article on how to deep clean a sand filter.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the deep clean more effective if you first drain the water out of the filter? Wondering if exposing the top layer of sand makes it easier to remove debris.
    15,000 IG Plaster
    Sand
    SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

I doubt it. Because when you put the hose in to start washing out the debris you're going to have to fill the filter back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I also want to clean my sand filter, but when I tried to disassemble the lid of the sand filter I also noticed the plumbing. Tried to use a pipe wrench on the one connection on the right side, but it would not budge, it only made impressions in the plastic. Here's a picture of the lines hooked up on the left side. Any advice on disconnecting these? There will be no way to remove the lid unless I disconnect the three hookups.

connections to sand filter.jpg
    IG 26k gal, vinyl liner, Hayward S220T sand filter, Hayward SP2607X10 pump with Century UST1102 motor (single speed)
    Goldline AquaRite swg with Tcell-9
    TF-100 test kit
    located in Central Virginia

8. Back To Top    #8

You will need to cut the pipes and add unions that allow you to twist and remove the top of the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, Jason. I'm not a plumber, so what do you think: would it be worth it to hire someone to do this, just so I can get the sand filter open for cleaning? Or will frequent backwashing do the job?
    IG 26k gal, vinyl liner, Hayward S220T sand filter, Hayward SP2607X10 pump with Century UST1102 motor (single speed)
    TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

A few YouTube videos and I have no doubt you could cut and add unions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

OK cool, thanks. I guess it's not rocket surgery, then...
    TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cbosterhus View Post
    OK cool, thanks. I guess it's not rocket surgery, then...
    Buy yourself some fittings, some primer, and some glue. Take a hacksaw to the pipes. Don't forget to slip the outer ring on before you glue things together.
    cutpipes.jpg
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

I learned the hard way, the unions at Home Depot are not very good. The Hayward or Spears are better.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale