Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 26' x 52 getting started and upgrading existing pump. What would you suggest??

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 26' x 52 getting started and upgrading existing pump. What would you suggest??

Hi Everyone!

We have finally finished leveling out the spot in our yard for our intex 26'x52 above ground pool!
    I have researched and researched and also read MANY posts here about upgrading the existing pump and now my head is spinning. we know that we want to upgrade the existing pump when we install the pool this weekend or next week (hoping the rain holds off ) but I am absolutely LOST on what pump to purchase! We have decided we are going to hold off on doing a salt water system. So with that being said what pump do you recommend us using??? I really enjoy reading all the helpful posts here! Thanks to all those who may possibly help me wrap my head around this! I'm sure I am overthinking it but we want to make the right investment in the pump from the start!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 26' x 52 getting started and upgrading existing pump. What would you sugges

Are you looking to stick with the Intex equipment? If so, get the largest pump and sand filter they make.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Intex 26' x 52 getting started and upgrading existing pump. What would you sugges

If not, get a 2 speed pump with the largest filter of your choice.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not opposed to getting s different brand if it would be better. What pump other than intex would yall suggest? How many GPM should I look for in a larger pump and about how many HP?

5. Back To Top    #5

A 3/4hp or 1hp 2 speed pump from Hayward or Pentair would work great. But, there are lots of posts here from people who are very happy with the Intex sand filters.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all! I am going to search the Hayward and pentair now. I just want to make sure I get a good adequately sized pump the first go round instead of having to get another one in the near future.

7. Back To Top    #7

For a pool your size, if you are not going with Intex, look for something around a 23" diameter sand filter. The 1HP 2-speed Power-Flo Matrix is popular. This is a much more expensive option that sticking with the Intex brand, but it is big jump in quality too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Does the sand filter have to be the same brand as the pump?

9. Back To Top    #9

Nope. You can mix brands.
    Jason, TFP Moderator