Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Dual Suction Lines

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Dual Suction Lines

Recently purchased an Intex 12x24 Above Ground Pool. The pool has 2 intake lines coming together at a valve then a hose goes to the Pump. My question is can I close off one of those lines, or maybe at least reduce the flow from one of the lines. Looking for more Suction to use my Vacuum. I believe they went to the 2 lines because of a Law Suit from there being too much suction in the 1 line. thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about Dual Suction Lines

Welcome Lee..

Sure you can. I wasn't aware they had done that, but it will be fine when you vacuum. You actually want too, or at least mostly to one only. Enjoy your time on TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

the problem with that is if you have a sand filter and you have an output of 1.5 inch the both input is 1.25 sor if you remove one i think it will be not enought water flow inside the pump or im wrong ?
    thank you

i just tried to block one hole of the 2 input and it start making forcing the motor :S
    18 X 52 intex ultra frame pool, intex sand filter 1600 gph

4. Back To Top    #4

You have it figured. If you get too much suction, to where the vacuum starts to stick to the floor, crack the other one a bit. You will see reduced flow out the returns and the pump will sound different when it's sucking through that long narrow hose. As long as it goes back to normal when you're done vacuuming, everything's hunky-dory.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

but how can i make a dual suction adapter to have the best suction for the vacumm ?
    18 X 52 intex ultra frame pool, intex sand filter 1600 gph

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi, I have the 16x48 intex ultra frame pool. I am having the hardest time getting my sand filter & saltwater system combo connected to my pool. It came with the B adapters but do I need to connect a hose to both of the suction valves or do I block one off? I have looked on YouTube and watch the DVD neither is very clear because it only show them setting up their old version pool with only 1 suction valve. Please help I have a party in a week and have become frustrated because I wanted to have this set up and running before then.😢😂😂

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by POOLTIME3 View Post
    Hi, I have the 16x48 intex ultra frame pool. I am having the hardest time getting my sand filter & saltwater system combo connected to my pool. It came with the B adapters but do I need to connect a hose to both of the suction valves or do I block one off? I have looked on YouTube and watch the DVD neither is very clear because it only show them setting up their old version pool with only 1 suction valve. Please help I have a party in a week and have become frustrated because I wanted to have this set up and running before then.������
    I the future please start your own thread with a question like this. It will get a lot more attention and not hijack someone elses.

There is a T fitting that both of those suction valves connect to that makes them turn into one hose. This T fitting also has a plunger valve on it. This T has 2 1.25" ports and 1 1.5" port. The hoses coming from the suction ports on the pool connect to the 1.25" ports and the hose going to the filter goes in the 1.5" port. The SWG then goes after the filter.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

8. Back To Top    #8

My apologies Scuba_Steve, I'm new to this and was in dying need of information so I didn't realize I was hijacking someone else's thread since I seen other threads where others, I guess hijacked someone's thread with a similar question as the originator. I have never posted on a forum before.....

Thanks for responding to my question.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I am curious to see the answer to this question, too. I had read something in another thread about the dual inlet, and checked my new pool, still in the box. Yep, there's two. I have a sand filter and had rigged up a vacuum in my 18' ultra frame. (By using the adapter from the skimmer that I seldom used.)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    I am curious to see the answer to this question, too. I had read something in another thread about the dual inlet, and checked my new pool, still in the box. Yep, there's two. I have a sand filter and had rigged up a vacuum in my 18' ultra frame. (By using the adapter from the skimmer that I seldom used.)
    PAGirl I was trying to use the T-fitting from the filter that came with the pool but it doesn't work with the hoses from my Sand filter/ Saltwater combo....so I just hook 2 of the hoses from the starter filter to the T-fitting they came with. I have attached a couple of pics, hopefully you can see the 2 hoses that are smaller....I guess I did the best I could after going to 2 different pool stores and 2 hardware store and leaving with no other resolution

11. Back To Top    #11

That is what I tried to explain to do. Sorry, it was kinda hard to explain without a picture. You would have hooked it up the exact same way using your canister filter. Those small tubes are good up to 1500gph each, so they will work fine with a larger sand filter.
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    That is what I tried to explain to do. Sorry, it was kinda hard to explain without a picture. You would have hooked it up the exact same way using your canister filter. Those small tubes are good up to 1500gph each, so they will work fine with a larger sand filter.
    Yeah, I kind of put your information with my thoughts and did it that way Scuba_Steve.....lol.... Buuut because I hate to feel defeated and like thinks right and not rigged, I continued to go back and forth outside up until about midnight and finally figured out how to connect all of my big hoses up with the started filter T-FITTING. I had already purchased 2 additional B adapters but kept thinking I didn't need them and really wasn't sure how I would have used them since I didn't have anything promising to actually show me.... thanks again for the information. I'm a happy camper now....lol

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I hope I can find this next week, when we finally get ours up! Still in the ground prep stages, since we are moving it from the previous spot.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

All of these parts come with your pool. No need to try to find them elsewhere.
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by POOLTIME3 View Post
    PAGirl I was trying to use the T-fitting from the filter that came with the pool but it doesn't work with the hoses from my Sand filter/ Saltwater combo....so I just hook 2 of the hoses from the starter filter to the T-fitting they came with. I have attached a couple of pics, hopefully you can see the 2 hoses that are smaller....I guess I did the best I could after going to 2 different pool stores and 2 hardware store and leaving with no other resolution

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Im curious, did the Plunger Valve that the 2 intake hoses are plugged into come with the pool or the filter pump? I cant seem to find that part anywhere.

16. Back To Top    #16

Comes with the pool. I think I read that smaller versions do not have a plunger valve. Just a T fitting.
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Furter41 View Post
    Im curious, did the Plunger Valve that the 2 intake hoses are plugged into come with the pool or the filter pump? I cant seem to find that part anywhere.
    It came with the filter that is provided with the pool...I have noticed that the bigger pools come with either a sand filter pump or the saltwater system. Not sure if it is provided with those systems.