Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing the "innards" of my sand filter??

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing the "innards" of my sand filter??

I inherited a pool when we purchased our home in 2011. We are still very much newbies in the pool care category. As such, due to poor communication and early cold weather we forgot to drain the water from the sand filter. Of course the inevitable happened and the center pipe was crushed by the expanding freezing water. I have removed the sand and pulled out the pipe and lateral assembly and can't find a part number for replacement. It is an umbrella-style setup. The pipe itself was about 19 inches long and each lateral piece is around 7 inches long and there are ten of them. The filter itself (the body) looks like an upside down hot air balloon (big and round) and is blue. It has 'Swim-Pro' on the side but the area that used to have a ticker (probably identifying the model number) is bare. I have tried to contact our local pool shop but haven't heard back from them yet. Does anyone have any idea what part I need to order? (My pool is a 24' round above ground)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing the "innards" of my sand filter??

Welcome!

The parts are probably available, but you'd need to know the brand and the size. Maybe post a picture of the whole filter? Someone might recognize it and tell you what make it is if the label is gone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was able to take the crushed pieces to the store and buy a replacement. It is too long and we will have to cut the pvc pipe to fit. Still a work on progress, but at least there is progress! Thanks for your suggestion!

4. Back To Top    #4

Any idea how long the center pipe should be? Do I cut it to the longest length that will still allow the top to fit on? The old one seems to have been pretty short, not going very far up into the bottom of the valve...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by amyp73 View Post
    Any idea how long the center pipe should be? Do I cut it to the longest length that will still allow the top to fit on? The old one seems to have been pretty short, not going very far up into the bottom of the valve...
    Sorry, no. I have a DE filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know either, but here is an in depth tutorial on cleaning a sand filter that might help.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach