New SWG installation question

sackmonkey

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2014
Clarkston, MI
I have installed the control panel for my new SWG just above my timer. I don't have automation, so my plan is to wire it directly to the 220V load on my timer. The left side of my timer box has a spare knockout hole for me to run a new circuit in. My question is, how do I properly run the wire into the box? I saw a thread where someone was criticized for using flexible conduit because you're supposed to leave the power wire exposed and use some sort of special grommet instead, but I'm not sure what that fitting is. Any help?

Thanks!

Rob

0513152028.jpg

OK, I can add conduit and that makes the fitting on the timer box a no brainer, but the what am I doing on the SWG end to attach the conduit? If you look at the picture, you can see that Circupool put a grommet on the power line. Should I just pry that grommet off and replace it with a conduit fitting? I guess it was when I saw that grommet there that I started thinking in the first place that conduit was not proper, then I saw that thread somewhere on here indicating the same (which I can't seem to find again, of course).

Here's the thread I was referring to:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/71977-INSTALLED!-Circupool-si45

It sounds like there's some completely different advice given there.

I tend to over do stuff, so I prefer to use conduit, but the grommet on there had me second guessing myself. If conduit is usually required, why doesn't Circupool sell the control box such that it comes with a more standard open hole and not make you disassemble a brand new thing?

That is the power cord. It is not meant to be run through conduit. The "bushing" you are talking about is called a cord grip. It will install in the hole in the timer box, the cord gets run through it, and then it gets tightened up. The rubber grommet makes the connection water proof, and also keeps the cord from getting pulled out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok,

I see.

Your question originally was about the 230V wires routing throw a timer and powering the controller. Those wires are required to be in conduit.

The power cord for the SWG cell is a completely different, and it routes through the grommet in the controller. the cell power cord does not go into conduit

Here's the thread I was referring to:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/71977-INSTALLED!-Circupool-si45

It sounds like there's some completely different advice given there.

I tend to over do stuff, so I prefer to use conduit, but the grommet on there had me second guessing myself. If conduit is usually required, why doesn't Circupool sell the control box such that it comes with a more standard open hole and not make you disassemble a brand new thing?

Hey Dave,

I still think you and n240sx are talking about the same circuit but saying opposite advice.

I'm not talking about the big DC cable that goes from the control box to the cell. I'm talking about the power cord that goes from my 220V pump timer to the Circupool control box. You say it needs to be in conduit. N240sx says it doesn't.

I think Dave and I are both right, or at least we are on a similar page. After looking at several different swg models, nearly all of them have a typical electrical enclosure, and has a knock out where you run the conduit. Those definitely use conduit. The circupool models and my previous pool frog hybrid swg both have the cord preinstalled with a grommet. If the circupool is actually a cord grip, and not a plastic grommet, you could take it out and run conduit if you wanted. With the preinstalled cord, you just use a cord grip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The concern with not putting the power cord in conduit is what sun light will do to the cord. If it is not rated for exposure, the UV in sun light will eventually deteriorate the cord jacket. Conduit is rated for UV exposure plus, it will help protect it from damage by pets, kids, etc.

The concern with not putting the power cord in conduit is what sun light will do to the cord. If it is not rated for exposure, the UV in sun light will eventually deteriorate the cord jacket. Conduit is rated for UV exposure plus, it will help protect it from damage by pets, kids, etc.

I concur. Conduit is the better choice. It is curious that most manufacturers make it where you have to use conduit, but some provide a cord. My old swg's cord had no signs of deterioration or fading, so it looks like they use uv resistant cords. If my new circupool swg has a cord grip I can easily remove and use conduit, I will. I like the look of liquidtite better than the cord.

I just looked at my Circupool housing. It has a cord grip installed (looks like either a 3/8" or 1/2" fitting). You should be able to replace it with an appropriately sized conduit fitting if you wish to install flexible conduit.

You beat me to it N240.

That's great news. I've hated the stupid galvanized cord grip I bought at lowes ever since I got it. Now I can put a 90 out to liquidtite to the swg. I used to work at an electrical supply house, so I love it when I get to use some of the stuff I used to play with/sell.

LOL.. yeah..
If one doesnt know all of the different types of cable available then it can get confusing for sure.

Even if the power cable is rated for outdoor and UV resistant, then that still leaves open the question of city code or NEC code.
Easiest thing to do is just cut the chase and install a flexible conduit. IMO.

Thanks to all of you for the good discussion. I love this forum.

I finally got home from work and was able to take a close look at the Circupool fitting. It looks like a standard 3/4" and will be easy to swap out to install some conduit. I plan to buy some tomorrow. There are too many squirrels/chipmunks/etc around here to chew through the lines, so I'd rather it be as robust as possible.

Rob

LOL.. yeah..
If one doesnt know all of the different types of cable available then it can get confusing for sure.

Even if the power cable is rated for outdoor and UV resistant, then that still leaves open the question of city code or NEC code.
Easiest thing to do is just cut the chase and install a flexible conduit. IMO.

That brings up the other side of the situation. By code, can you run the cord through the flexible conduit. I'm under the impression you can't since usually SO type cords are not intended for that. They don't meet the 60 or 90 degree Celsius service environment requirement for conduit that THHN meets. What is your insight/interpretation of the code as far as that's concerned? I think this specific application couldn't be a bigger grey area as far as the NEC goes.

Just to follow up on this, I used standard 1/2" liquid tite fittings and a short length of conduit to make a very robust setup. The conduit was also a convenient place to zip tie my cell cable and flow meter to clean up the whole installation. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.