Re using valves

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Hi folks, I want to replace my suction side. I added two jandy never lube valves in the spring to try to stop what may be a suction side leak, it didn't help. Now I want to pull it all out and try again. I saw on YouTube where they were cutting the pvc close to the fitting (valve in my case) then using a torch to heat the pvc then use a screw driver to pry the pvc out so they could get players in and they twisted the pvc till it pealed out... Do you think that works? I want to put my backup pump in with a new suction side... I would like to keep the valves since they are only s few months old.

Thoughts?

Example:
[URL="http://youtu.be/CfezjNDNxNo"]http://youtu.be/CfezjNDNxNo[/URL]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGRKMfUbwQ

I have never tried that. It sorta' makes sense but obviously you have to be careful with that torch. I would be afraid to make my first attempt on a valve. Maybe just glue up a scrap PVC joint and practice.

The valves have two sizes. For a 1.5" x 2" valve, the valve takes 1.5" pvc pipe into the hole or a 2" coupling on the outside. For a 2" x 2.5" valve, the valve takes 2" pvc pipe into the hole or a 2.5" coupling on the outside.

If you cut the pipe flush, you can use the other size not yet used.

Another option is to use a pipe extender. A pipe extender glues inside of schedule 40 pvc pipe and leaves about 1.5" of new pipe. I don't like using them on 1.5" pipe as it reduces the diameter too much. A 2" pipe extender is less of a concern as far as diameter is concerned.

I have used the torch method with great success. What really helps is that the valves are constructed of CPVC which withstands some heat much better than PVC. Use a heat gun if you are not comfortable with a torch and make sure the valve body is positioned on the opposite side of the valve so it doesn't deform from the heat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
James W you have a point... I forgot the valves were both inner and outer installs.. I may do as you stated, and use 2" - 1.5 inch unions to get them back in. I also glued up some scrap to see how the torch method works... and I may order one of those socket savers or one of those ram bits... more to follow... Might be worth trying the ram bit on the valve, if I don't like the end result, I still have the outer diameter to use...

Guys, I wanted to get back to you on this... I tested the burn and re-use method... and it did work... but I would need to practice a few more times to even feel comfortable enough to try... I am going to reuse the valves, but I am just going to use the over method (2 inch outer) then adapt to 1.5... I am afraid I will damage the valve... but I do believe with practice and hard work it will turn out fine... I will post my lame video in a few... I am playing it safe on this one...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.