Slamming Pool and Looking for Advice

Aug 30, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
We opened our pool and found a dark green murky mess and got more leaves in it while taking off the cover. We will need to get a leaf net for the fall and spring of next year. Anyway we have been working on SLAMMING the Pool this past week and have been pretty focused on it. Some days better than others due to work schedules. But have tested at the least twice a day and up to 4-5 times on some days. Our pool is now a cloudy blue color so we have made a lot of progress. However I think our pump pressure gauge is broken because it reads below zero, but there is lots of sucking under the skimmer basket and the water return is good. So we think we need a new pressure gauge

Current Levels are:

FC 16
CC 2
Ph 7.6 though I thought I have read testing this during SLAM is not accurate so this is the first time I have tested it since we started SLAM
TA 200
CH 200
CYA < 30

We started with FC 0
pH of 8
CYA 40
I can't remember what the other 2 numbers were.
We have our CC at 0.5 once, but mostly it has been at 1

We got our pool last July and had some Algae in Aug, and during our attempting to correct it got our CYA up to 60, I also thought I read during SLAM CYA can be inaccurate so I am afraid to raise it because if we get it too high we have to replace water to lower it.

We would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Leave the Ph alone. Do NOT add any more CYA. No need to test it any more if you have a good number on it which determines your FC level for your slam. MAINTAINING the FC level for the slam seems to be your main issue here. Sounds if you have turned a corner on it already------persevere! And those pressure gauges are the sorriest piece of equipment in anybody's configuration. As long as you have a good idea of what your normal pressure is at the return, it's ok. You just may have to backwash more often during the slam until you can get one. TFtestkits sells a good one.

So this morning we went out and you can the bottom of the pool, the water is crystal clear!! :sunny:
However I know we are not out of the woods yet.

FC this am was 11
FC just now was 7
CC just now is 0

Just put the robot for the 2nd time. Next time we need to add him sooner.
So I know to be done with the SLAM we need
1. Crystal clear water - We have it :cheers:
2. CC is less than 0.5 - We have it:cheers:
3. FC less than 1.0 loss overnight, will check it in the am.:splash: hoping we can splash soon!

So tonight we will test FC and compare it to the am.

We have to still add our stairs which I am going to spray tonight with a bleach solution - I know I read to keep the FC at Shock level when first putting in stairs because algae could be hiding.

So if we are good, get the stairs in and keep the FC up at shock level for 24 more hours, how often do I do all the tests in the kit?

I also will need to order more solution to test CYA I think I may have enough for one more test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.