Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Covers

I was just reading a post about what solar cover to buy. The general census was that the Blue is better with protecting the FC levels but doesn't do much warming, the clear does much better with warming but doesn't protect the FC levels.

I live right outside of New Orleans so its get pretty freaking hot doing the summer. My pool is actually 80* right now. The wife thinks that its to cold still and I find it hard for me to get her to come swimming if its too cold. Doing the summer the pool gets HOT, cant remember exactly how high but its hot.

With that being said does the blue warm the pool any? I think what I would want is some thing that would heat it a little but do more for protecting the FC.

Or is there any other style cover that would be better for my goals?

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Solar Covers

with those temp's I would go for an 8 mil blue like this.. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-24-F.../dp/B003B15B22
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Solar Covers

You have to keep in mind your water will heat better on a nice hot sunny day with little wind with the cover off. The covers work best at retaining the heat at night that you would lose to evaporation. So when your done swimming for the night put the blanket on your water till your ready to swim again.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I also read that people cut theres in to sections, why is that? Wouldn't they move around?

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
    I also read that people cut theres in to sections, why is that? Wouldn't they move around?

Wayne
    It makes them more manageable. I cut mine in half for this reason. Mine doesn't move around even with the pump running on low speed. On high speed it will start to spin.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have mine cut in 4 pieces, right down the seams so I roll it on and off in 4 pieces.

The best time to use the blanket is at night. I can warm my pool fastest by shutting my pump off and letting the Sun blast my water for hours on end and then cover the pool around 7-8pm.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Casey, do you have any pics of your cut solar cover? Or can you give a description of how you did, and then how you go about putting the cover on and off again? I was thinking of doing something like this to make a solar cover more manageable.
    28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I have mine cut in 4 pieces, right down the seams so I roll it on and off in 4 pieces.

The best time to use the blanket is at night. I can warm my pool fastest by shutting my pump off and letting the Sun blast my water for hours on end and then cover the pool around 7-8pm.
    Should I be turning the pump off during the day when the cover is off?
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would run it with cover off.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.