Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use up remaining bleach before SWCG starup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Use up remaining bleach before SWCG starup?

I finished the SLAM process after spring opening and I'm waiting for FC to drop to normal maintenance level before firing up the SWCG.

I still have 6 jugs of 8.25% bleach left over. Should I just use that up first to maintain FC before switching to the SWCG?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Use up remaining bleach before SWCG starup?

Save it. When you have a swim party, you'll need to elevate the FC before and after and jugs are the fastest way to do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Save it. When you have a swim party, you'll need to elevate the FC before and after and jugs are the fastest way to do it.
    Thanks.

How long can I expect them to maintain their potency? They are stored in shed (not climate controlled).
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    Thanks.

How long can I expect them to maintain their potency? They are stored in shed (not climate controlled).
    Just as a guess, I'd say they'll still be above 6% at the end of summer. Somewhere I know there's a graph, but the only one I can find at the moment is this link. Figure half a jug just before the party starts and the other half a jug when the last person has climbed out. That's 2 ppm before and 2 ppm after in a pool your size.

And all it takes is one "fecal accident" as the health department terms it, or a dead rat or skunk in the pool, and you'll be dumping in a whole bunch real fast.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd plan on using them up in the next 2-3 months in those conditions. That's how I keep few bottles from Costco and have had no problems. I always use bleach instead of turning up the SWG when I just need or want some instant response. The SWG lasts longer I feel, and is meant for a constant level of chlorine but doesn't kill as well a bolus doses of chlorine do.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I'd plan on using them up in the next 2-3 months in those conditions. That's how I keep few bottles from Costco and have had no problems. I always use bleach instead of turning up the SWG when I just need or want some instant response. The SWG lasts longer I feel, and is meant for a constant level of chlorine but doesn't kill as well a bolus doses of chlorine do.
    Like you I only use my SWCG to maintain normal FC level. Once I get it set, it's rare I have to boost FC for any reason. I seriously doubt I'll need all 6 jugs any time soon, so perhaps I'll use most of it now and save the rest for later.

Of course if I do need more I can always buy some.