Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris wheel fell off

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris wheel fell off

New pool owner here. I inherited a Polaris pool robot with my vinyl pool. Today I discovered one of the Polaris wheels on the bottom of the deep end. There is also a screw, washer, and small metal plate (couldn't get those off the bottom with the net...will have to go swimming!)

Is the wheel repairable?
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris wheel fell off

Be careful and gentle.. You obviously didn't rip it. Thickness helps too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes it is repairable, the question is how much will it cost you What model Polaris is it?

I've had just about every Polaris failure over the years and the good news is, they are usually easy to fix. I've also lost a wheel, but I had lost the entire axle, cracked plastic. If there is a metal plate on the bottom, it's likely a bit more than just the wheel screw coming off, but that depends on the model.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

eh...most of those require a phillips head and 15 minutes to repair, plus the part.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

5. Back To Top    #5

This just happened to me. I try to screw it back in, but there is nothing for the screws toto catch onto. I don't know what to do now
    First time pool owner, came with the new house. (it was green, bubbly and smelled of sewage)
    18,000 - 20,000 IG (in ground) Concrete
    Sand filter Century Centurion Pump - Install date about 1990 - Taylor Comp Chlorine FAS/DPD kit - Polaris vacuum Well Water

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ladiekali View Post
    This just happened to me. I try to screw it back in, but there is nothing for the screws toto catch onto. I don't know what to do now
    Download the owner's manual and look at the parts diagram. You probably need a new axle. They break. They're inexpensive.

Owners Manuals | Zodiac Pool Systems, Inc.
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Great, looks like i need the frame. Not cheap... just because of two little screws. the part on the frame that the wheels screws into, the threads in that are gone. Looks like i might be able to find the frame for $100. Now i'm wondering should i just replace the whole dang thing. this polaris is probably darn near 20 years old. I'm afraid everything is gonna start falling apart on it. I know my hoses are good, from the pool side to the polaris, just replaced that. but everything else has been put thru the ringer i guess. i just have big trees in my yard and HAVE to run the polaris every day!
    First time pool owner, came with the new house. (it was green, bubbly and smelled of sewage)
    18,000 - 20,000 IG (in ground) Concrete
    Sand filter Century Centurion Pump - Install date about 1990 - Taylor Comp Chlorine FAS/DPD kit - Polaris vacuum Well Water

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm not familiar with this failure, but from just reading here about it, I wonder if you couldn't put a dap of epoxy in the screw hole then either let it harden and drill a small hole in it for the screw to thread into, or just insert the screw into the soft epoxy and leave it at that (nut then probably can't ever take that screw back out).
    20K gal In-ground pool w/spa; IntelliControl, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH (Acid-Injector), SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, Jandy Gas heater