New radiant pool owner with questions

May 13, 2015
Holland Patent, NY
Hi all! I have a new 18' Radiant above ground pool. We have everything almost done (just have to do electrical).

Yesterday we cut the openings for the skimmer and return. Today there seems to be a leak at the skimmer. Could this be something to worry about or will it go away? If I have to pull the unit apart to find the problem, does the pool have to be empty? I'd hate to empty it if I don't have to but I also don't want to ruin my new liner. Can I use some sort of silicone?

Also, is the eyeball on the return used to blow water? There wasn't any instructions about this piece. Is it needed or is it something I can do without?

Thank you for any advice! Karen

Welcome to TFP !
Sometimes the gaskets need to swell up to make a good seal. I had the same problem and after a few days it stopped leaking.
Give it a few days and see what happens. You can use some silicone if it won't stop on its own. Make sure all the screws are tight. Did you tighten them in some sort of pattern ?

Welcome to TFP !
Sometimes the gaskets need to swell up to make a good seal. I had the same problem and after a few days it stopped leaking.
Give it a few days and see what happens. You can use some silicone if it won't stop on its own. Make sure all the screws are tight. Did you tighten them in some sort of pattern ?

We tightened them sporadically around. Not just around in one direction.
I hope it stops in a day or two. Little nervous now.

i had an issue with my radiant and the skimmer leaking. In my case there was some leaking around the white plate on the back. Here is a link to the thread I started..

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/81362-A-leak-around-my-skimmer

In my case there was a really tiny pin hole, probably from a screw hitting the liner by the return jet. Between the wall and liner was filling up with water, and it was coming out of the back of the skimmer. I had a pool company come out, and replace my skimmer, and troubleshoot. It ended up costing me 450 bucks on three trips by them. If you have to drain, you should only need to go a couple inches below the skimmer. That way you can get your beaded liner out, if you need to

- - - Updated - - -

the eyeball is to make the water go in a circle. That way the skimmer will catch floating debris.

i had an issue with my radiant and the skimmer leaking. In my case there was some leaking around the white plate on the back. Here is a link to the thread I started..

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/81362-A-leak-around-my-skimmer

In my case there was a really tiny pin hole, probably from a screw hitting the liner by the return jet. Between the wall and liner was filling up with water, and it was coming out of the back of the skimmer. I had a pool company come out, and replace my skimmer, and troubleshoot. It ended up costing me 450 bucks on three trips by them. If you have to drain, you should only need to go a couple inches below the skimmer. That way you can get your beaded liner out, if you need to

- - - Updated - - -

the eyeball is to make the water go in a circle. That way the skimmer will catch floating debris.

Matt, how did you find the pinhole? I did some searching and found to try food coloring. I used red and it doesn't seem to do anything. I hope it's just the gasket. Going to keep an eye on it. The drip is like every 2 seconds. Also, it looks like the same as your pic.

And.....I had my husband tighten them so it's not woman tight. :D:p
Karen

hahah. Woman tight, I forgot about that :)

The pool company actually found the hole. I never thought that would happen and it never crossed my mind. You might be able to put some food coloring around the gasket and the return jet when the pump is off, to see if the dye runs towards the hole.

Sometimes when you tighten the screws it can move the gasket. I know your pain. For what its worth. I broke my skimmer this spring when adding pvc to replace the flex hoses. I had the pool company come out and replace it. Since I had my fill of skimmer issues.....One thing I will tell you is when you initially put in the skimmer, it requires two pan head screws. The guys that replaced my skimmer said they should be flat head screws, they said it could be pushing the gasket and faceplate out. (I had another non-radiant dealer replace it, since they could come out the next day, and not next week).

If it hasn't swelled, your only option might be to remove the skimmer, and do some really good inspection of the liner around that area, and the return. You can pull the liner out of the bead channel and maybe at night shine a flashlight behind it to see if you notice any light popping though where it should not be coming through. One thing you don't want is water between your liner and wall. Good luck, I'm curious to see what you find.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.