Unlevel Pool

Ohh man. I am desperate for help and have read a zillion threads so I figure i would just ask here. My pool is unlevel. I took it down yesterday after I filled it about two feet and noticed, drained, moved it, tried to put in a more leveled area. Now my pool has some super weird levels in it with two of the poles the most unlevel. Is there anything I can do to level out these two pole areas without draining it again? It's about 32 at it's highest and I have stopped filling it. For some reason I thought the more water I put in it the more it would level out... Yes I know :) This is my first pool that is on grass instead of concrete so I never had this problem. Here are the levels I jotted down with my tape measure before I let it fill a little more.
wKpf5W6.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The pool should be within 1" of level all the way around. You appear to be 5+" inches off. As such, we would not deem it safe.

You really need to remove the pool and dig down lowering the high areas to make the surface level.

Here is the measurements I just took by carefully looking at the numbers and after I filled it more earlier. I do feel it is unsafe I was just wondering if there was any way in the world to fix it without draining. I believe it's just the two 27 inch poles that are too high causing the different levels all around to compensate. Would trying to dig under these two do me any good? I'm sorry if I sound way too naive but I really am on this subject unfortunately. Thanks for all the help!!
GJGY4y6.jpg

It is never going to level out, it will always be, "mostly right" or "good. sorta". You get the idea. I know you want to swim but trust me, you will be much happier if you just take it down and level the ground properly. Good luck.

I had one that was 3" out of level, and it eventually collapsed and split the liner. Sorry, but there's really no good alternative at this point but to drain it and level the site.

Sorry but you can not just throw this pool up n fill it. You have to remove the sod and find the lowest spot and remove the high ground. It's hard but your pool needs a solid, level foundation.

Thanks guys! I've come to my senses and pool has been in drain mode for about an hour. Just wanted to ask if you guys had any guides or videos you would recommended for the leveling process. I don't plan on having it up after this season as we will be moving out of state next summer. You guys have been so helpful!

You are going to have to "dig down" from your highest point to where it is all level and compact it. Do NOT add fill dirt and think that will help any. At 14 ft. round, you could nail a couple 2x4 together fixed at the center point to use as a level. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had one that was 3" out of level, and it eventually collapsed and split the liner. Sorry, but there's really no good alternative at this point but to drain it and level the site.

You are the first person that I have ever heard from that has first hand knowledge of a pool collapsing because it was 3" out of level. Could you pleas elaborate? How did it happen?

Thanks

Jennifer, my husband tried digging out from my high legs as best as he could without bursting the liner and it only lowered it by half an inch in one corner and made the legs very unstable as the liner was still on the unlevel ground. He then tried the jacking method to no results as I didn't feel like stressing the liner I was sitting under with 3,300 gallons of water above my head. My husband is very "don't tell me nothing" kind of man and he even agreed that it needed draining and even made me a vacuum drain from an old hose so It's completely drained when I woke up today & ready to move out the way to dig in ;) I would try to find somehow to store your water if you can like a cheap CL pool? I just drained my down the hill from my house as I sit on 4 acres in the middle of nowhere with plenty of water : )

You are the first person that I have ever heard from that has first hand knowledge of a pool collapsing because it was 3" out of level. Could you pleas elaborate? How did it happen?

Thanks

It was an Intex 14'x42" Ultra frame that was maybe 3 years old. There was some rusting around some of the top rails where they fit together. The leaning of the pool put some excess strain on one of them, causing it to snap where the rust was, and the whole thing came down. Luckily no one was in it when it happened.

The rusting was certainly a factor, but you could tug on the rails and tell that they were under stress from the lean even before that.

Use a laser level or a water level to establish level points spaced out around the pool and in the center. Then put something straight between two of the level points around the edge, I like to use electrical conduit, but many things will do. That will allow you to rest a long straight board from the center point and slide it along the conduit to establish level over that pie shaped section of the pool. Continue on around until everything is flat.

This is the 3rd day my husband has been on this.. I'm feeling bad for him. You guys have any tips on how to level the dirt quickly so he can rest?
2oKqmwI

- - - Updated - - -

2oKqmwI.jpg
Hire someone!..... Seriously, probably would not cost that much as it doesn't look like a huge job for someone with a little bobcat or even a tractor with a blade. My pool is traditional metal wall but we hired a guy to clear away woods and level the land. I put the cap block in for each post and rented a surveyor scope to do so. That's another option, they are not much for a weekends rental and not hard to learn to use in this capacity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.