Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: What happens if I don't add winterizing chemicals?

What happens if I don't add winterizing chemicals?

I have a pool cover that my dogs run around on during the winter and occasionally when its warmish the water seeps through and they cavort in, and drink it - so I am hesitant to add anything more beyond the balancing of the water. I am pretty sure I may open to a swamp... because of no algacide, but other then that is there a need for the winter chems?

I am actually thinking that if I open early enough I won't have too much trouble.
    Tom M Tate

Re: What happens if I don't add winterizing chemicals?

None of the standard winter chemicals, chlorine, polyquat, antifreeze, pose any risk to pets at all. On the other hand, water with algae growing in it can easily also contain bacteria and viruses and not be at all safe.

If you wait to close till the water temperature is 50 or lower and open before the water gets to 50, you will probably be fine either way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School