Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner

I just set up a 20x 12x48 easy set up pool and purchased the saltwater system. I filled the pool up with city water and then proceeded to run the filter for. 24 hours after adding salt. Then I started the saltwater system and my salt was not too low or high and the water is clear. But my copper level is. 0 and my ph and alkalinity is low. But my chlorine level is great. It has been around 4 days since I started the whole process. Should I wait to let the kids swim since my ph is low or is it ok??and should I wait and let the system fun in boost mode for another day or so before adding any increaser to help ph? This has been a stressful process for me. I like to have things perfect. But I want it safe for my kids.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner

Welcome Melissa

Can you give us some test results please? We can't say if it's just "great" or "low". We really need solid numbers to make a call.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! As Patrick said we need solid numbers from a reliable test kit to better help you help your pool. No copper is good!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Here is a Test Kit Comparison, I recommend ordering a TF100 test kit from tftestkits.net, that's what I have.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here is the Water Balance for your SWCG pool.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Free Chlorine is 1 ppm and ph is 6.2 and alkalinity is 0 and copper is 0

6. Back To Top    #6

Those results are with the test strips that came with the saltwater pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum!

If you do a little reading of other threads, it will be become pretty clear pretty quickly that we don't trust test strips. They don't give the accuracy nor precision necessary to properly care for a pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

As stated, you need to get a good test kit. But until it arrives, since you filled it with the same water your kids bathe in, let 'em swim.

I doubt your ph is really that low. I question the accuracy of the strips, which is why we don't use them here.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation