Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Newb - just ordered replacement filter - HELP PLEASE!

1. Back To Top    #1

**Newb - just ordered replacement filter - HELP PLEASE!

Hi all,

Good to be here! Looks like an excellent resource that I'll definitely get good use out of. Now, here's my situation... I've never owned a pool first off. We moved into our house late last year (pool already closed with safety cover). We had a company come out to open it this past Sat. Water wasn't too bad - but the equipment had some issues. The filter lid on the older Hawyard EC-65 DE was leaking and the release valve basically wasn't functioning (there was a screw in place?) The pump basket o-ring and chemical feeder need replacing. We were able to get it primed by flipping the pump basket o-ring. It ran for a few hours and shut off bc the water level dropped too low. Newb error I know :/ Anyway - Got the hose running, replaced the pump basket o-ring and after messing with valves and/off switches, I was able to get it running again - but only for a little bit. It stopped after a few hours, so I killed the power. It seems to be losing pressure - guessing through the filter lid. The pool company seems too busy to call me back - so I started looking into filter lids. They're $150ish. New EC-65, $450. With it being an older system, I went ahead and ordered a new Hawyard EC-65 filter, a Hayward CL200 Automatic Pool Chemical Feeder, lube and more DE powder.

Hereís the deal - like everyone else, we have a party on Memorial Day and I really need to get our pool up and running. We get full sun and have a heater - so fingers are crossed. New equipment should will arrive Friday.

Iíd LOVE a walk through on hooking up the new filter and feeder - as well adding the DE powder. Again, Iím new so - bear with me. Does that get fed through the skimmer once primed? Looks like the discharge is above the pump line vs being on the side, so Iíll need to run the PVC around. Would LOVE some help there!

Please feel free to offer any tips or suggestions. Trying to do whatever I can to plan ahead.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thanks in advance!!

Here are some pics of the current (newly ordered filter and feeder below):

Attachment 36397
    Attachment 36398
    Attachment 36394

New:

Attachment 36395

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: **Newb - just ordered replacement filter - HELP PLEASE!

Welcome to TFP!!!

I wish you would have posted here before ordering. I would have suggested just eliminating the chlorine feeder as we do not recommend exclusive use of trichlor tablets. See: How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Sorry to say, I would not hold your breath that the pool will be running and clean by Memorial Day. I am assuming that once you get the equipment installed, you will need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clean up the pool. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits ASAP if you want to have any hope. Get the TF-100 with XL option from tftestkit.net

Since you got the same equipment, the plumbing is going to be the same as what you have now.

Here is some information about DE filters, although it is more geared to the other types of DE filters: Use and Care of DE Filters
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

I wish you would have posted here before ordering. I would have suggested just eliminating the chlorine feeder as we do not recommend exclusive use of trichlor tablets. See: How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Sorry to say, I would not hold your breath that the pool will be running and clean by Memorial Day. I am assuming that once you get the equipment installed, you will need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clean up the pool. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits ASAP if you want to have any hope. Get the TF-100 with XL option from tftestkit.net

Since you got the same equipment, the plumbing is going to be the same as what you have now.

Here is some information about DE filters, although it is more geared to the other types of DE filters: Use and Care of DE Filters
    I believe I have time to cancel the feeder order. I just figured it would be an easy swap. Should I cancel?

I'm not holding my breath. Just hoping that I have time as the water isn't in that bad of shape. It is green however. I took the water to have tested when I bought the o-ring for the pump basket. They said it wasn't too bad. I picked up a test kit that day also. All I can do is try. I assume some re-routing of the pluming would be needed after looking at the pics. The discharge fitting holes is on the front vs the side.

Thanks for the quick response!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

I canceled the order on this after reading through the link. Thank you!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum Bspool
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Please look at the link for the recommended test kits ... I can almost guarantee that what you bought is not good enough as rarely are they sold locally. The key is the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I think it's funny that the pool store said that green water wasn't too bad. That's what they usually peddle; green I sanitized water. Welcome to the clear, blue side of things.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Please look at the link for the recommended test kits ... I can almost guarantee that what you bought is not good enough as rarely are they sold locally. The key is the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    I believe this is the kit I bought - but will need to double check when I get home. http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-te...kit/k-2005.htm

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, that kit is close ... you just need to add the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test ... and I would also add the XL option since you have a green pool and need to SLAM.
    The SpeedStir would make testing easier too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, that kit is close ... you just need to add the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test ... and I would also add the XL option since you have a green pool and need to SLAM.
    The SpeedStir would make testing easier too.
    Ok - thanks! I'll double check to see what I have at home first. I'll order the FAS-DPD if I don't have it.

Considering it'll be Friday at the soonest before I get the new filter - would you suggest any kind of treatment in the meantime? Anything worth doing that might speed up the process once I get the new filter?

11. Back To Top    #11

How big is your pool?
    Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

How big is your pool?
    Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    I will measure as soon as I get home and post the details. Thanks again!

13. Back To Top    #13

You can certainly add some bleach every day (brushing really well to mix it in) until the equipment is running and you have the test kit. Just not sure how much until we know the volume.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

You can certainly add some bleach every day (brushing really well to mix it in) until the equipment is running and you have the test kit. Just not sure how much until we know the volume.
    Going by poolcalculator.com we're looking at 22,000 gallons (30'x15'x6.5'). I'll my sig updated tonight shortly.

Thanks!

15. Back To Top    #15

While you are waiting for your new filter to arrive, read through a few of the replumbing threads to get some ideas how to proceed. If you've never worked with pvc before it is not very difficult. Just remember when you measure to take into account the depth of the coupling before cutting the pvc. For example, if you need a 2 foot long section to replace the pipe when you remove the chlorinator and you add a coupling to each side to connect the new pipe to the old and the coupling is an 1" deep at each end don't forget to account for that. If you do a dry fit keep in mind the pvc will not completely seat in the coupling, but once you add the pvc primer and glue the pipe will seat completely into the coupling.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

So adding 1 bottle of bleach everyday would be safe and make you feel like you are doing something.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    While you are waiting for your new filter to arrive, read through a few of the replumbing threads to get some ideas how to proceed. If you've never worked with pvc before it is not very difficult. Just remember when you measure to take into account the depth of the coupling before cutting the pvc. For example, if you need a 2 foot long section to replace the pipe when you remove the chlorinator and you add a coupling to each side to connect the new pipe to the old and the coupling is an 1" deep at each end don't forget to account for that. If you do a dry fit keep in mind the pvc will not completely seat in the coupling, but once you add the pvc primer and glue the pipe will seat completely into the coupling.
    Will do. I've watched, but never actually made cuts or joined myself, so I appreciate the tips. All makes sensse. I'll def start searching through other threads! Thanks!

18. Back To Top    #18

Good for you for taking the time and effort to clear your pool. You will LOVE TFP and how easy it is!

Make sure to stir the pool REAL good with a broom if you put the bleach in.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

So adding 1 bottle of bleach everyday would be safe and make you feel like you are doing something.
    Going to run out and pick some up shortly.

20. Back To Top    #20

With the plumbing - will I be able to turn the lid of the new filter to match up with the current discharge line location, or does that discharge line "hole" have to remain lined up with the inlet - like on the pic?

Here's a pic of the test kit that I bought. I believe it is the K-2005, so I'll order the additional FAS/DPD kit that was suggested tomorrow.

Attachment 36411

And, here's the pool in it's current condition. This how now become a challenge I'll take every bit of advice - I'll have about 7 days to try and get it ready. Hoping to have the filter in place and running by this Sat. I still have faith! I dropped the chlorine "floater thing" in for grins with one of the jumbo tabs I have. I'm sure it won't do any good, but don't think it'll hurt.

Attachment 36410

Oh - and I'll get my sig up date tomorrow also.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast