Opinions on pool repair

jeffav

May 13, 2015
NJ
Ok, so I recently bought a house with a pool (it was a short sale). According to the agent, the pool hadn't been opened for 3 years. It was in terrible condition and I knew it would be a wild card going into it. So here am I deciding on what to do next. Initially, I planned to drain the pool myself which I did and then clean, acid wash and repaint but decided to get a few quotes instead as it looked like it was in rough shape. All have been in and around $12-14k range to redo the coping, sand blast, apply diamond brite and new tile. The contractor that did the pavers seemed to simply apply the coping on top of the original cement coping and everyone that has looked at the pool agreed it should be removed, leveled and replaced. So, I am left with a decision....do the renovation this year or get the pool running as-is and work out any unforeseeable problems and instead do the renovation next year. In addition, I'm still on the fence between plaster and diamond brite. Diamond Brite is looking to be only about ~1.5k more than plaster. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I know I will be needing a new filter but the pumps sound fine for not having been used for ~3 years.

Specs:
Gunite in ground pool
~25k gallons
Kidney shaped
~100 feet circumference

I have attached a few pics for reference:
20150430_182255.jpg20150430_182226.jpg20150430_182246.jpg

Definitely looks like she needs some TLC. As far as what plaster/finish to go with, that's up to you. I mean we could sit here n spend your money all day, the decision comes down to you. I don't have an in ground and can't really comment on whether the diamond is better over plaster so I'll let someone else chime in there.

If you can afford to do the repairs this year, I would do them.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool.

One option is to get the pool functional now, swim this summer and renovate in the fall. Or go all in now and get it over with.

If you are happy with owning a pool and are pretty sure what you want then get it over with now and be good for 10+ years. Upgrades from regular plaster will add years before you have to redo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.