Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water flow to heater question

1. Back To Top    #1

Water flow to heater question

Hello all. Just had a new Raypak 2100 heater installed and have a question about water flow. I have a Jandy valve plumbed in such that I can bypass the heater, or make all of the water flow through the heater, or split the flow half through the heater and the other half out the return line. What is the best way to set the valve to obtain the most efficient heating. Thanks for any reply.

Attachment 36389
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water flow to heater question

You want to have the most water you can getting heated a small amount. Usually filters have an internal bypass if you are trying to force too much water through. So, really there is no need to really bypass any of the water I would not think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The heater that was replaced was a 23 year old Raypak 2100, so maybe the plumbing was set up this way if the original heater did not have an internal bypass. I don't know if it did or did not. I was not the owner when the pool was installed. Thank you for the reply, jblizzle. I will keep the valve as shown and let all the water go through the heater.
    Thanks.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply, jblizzle. I will leave the valve alone and let all the water go through the heater.