Last Summer's Project

msumoose

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2012
Mods - if this is not allowed I will take it down ASAP

As my signature suggests, I teach in the winter and do pools in the summer. I was the quintessential "Newb" when I found this site. I had bought a house with a pool and had been "pool stored." I vowed that it would never happen again. I learned all I could (STILL learning!!) and set off to do all my own pool maintenance and chemistry.

After a layoff, I started the company. I needed some money, I had most of the tools and knowlege and a friend that built pools who needed someone to tie up loose ends. I learned a lot from him on the physical side...but that has blossomed into this - a full remodel. I am posting this to show all you DIYers what is possible. I am one guy. I sometimes enlist some help. This is mostly me and my high-school guy that did this...

So here is the story - a very nice and very pregnant lady called me in late May of last year. It was hot and she had bought a foreclosure with a pool. Said it needed a liner and some concrete replaced. I stopped by thinking I could be in and out fast...this is what I found:

20140529_184032.jpg
20140529_184142.jpg

So this was a big job - to make matters worse, this was an "Oasis" pool and had one skimmer and one return. In a box. In the ground. That included the filter and pump. Did I mention it was in the ground??
20140529_184056.jpg

Someone had added a chlorinator using flex PVC, and the fitting let go under the deck, washing the fill from under the concrete.

I started with a little labor and some tools getting the concrete out...
20140613_171756.jpg
20140614_194619.jpg

Then, I cut out most of the "pump box," and attached a new skimmer, plumbed a low-water pickup, and put in TWO returns. I know, for this large pool, that is not enough, but the budget would not allow more, because of the extensive amount of concrete that would have to be removed to do more. The previous owner was a concrete contractor...:shock:

- - - Updated - - -

Continued...

well, up to my limit on space - I will support and post more later...

Hats off to you, a teacher! Wow, this is going to be fascinating. My summer reading is coming from this forum! I'll be waiting for the next pictures and posts. Thanks for taking the time to share your renovation project with us. Take care! Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.