New to TFP and new pool owner!

May 13, 2015
Victoria MN
Hi everyone! I hear great things about this forum so I am excited to get started. I tried to fill out my signature with some info but couldn't find much about the 16 ft Intex pool I bought. I'm hoping someone can recommend:

-best testing kit to use (Taylor?)
-best starter kit for chemicals, or
-what chemicals to buy
-any other recommendations off the top

Thanks!

Welcome to to TFP!!

You will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not! The best for most pool owners is the TF-100 because it has been set up to provide more of the reagents a residential pool owner will use, rather than a commercial pool. It is based on Taylor chemicals.

Skip the started kits as they always include a bunch of stuff you don't need and we don't recommend. Stop by WalMart and pick up a container of CYA/Conditioner and a few bottles of 8.25% bleach. Other then that lets test the water before you "stock up"

The two main kit recommendations are the Taylor- K-2006 and the TF-100 (only at TFTestKits.net)
I bought the Taylor, but realized shortly after that you get more with the TF-100, and replacement chemicals (which you should replace yearly) are cheaper than the Taylor replacements.

If you plan on following the TFP methods, there is no "starter kit" of chemicals.

I will let more knowledgeable people comment on chemicals to buy, but generally you shouldn't add anything until you can get a good idea of your current levels with a reliable kit.

Other than that, read everything in pool school (link above) then read it again. You will be more knowledgeable than any pool store "professional" at that point.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Pretty excited there is so much support. I'll grab the above listed items, re-read pool school, get the thing set up in a few days and do some testing. I will be back with more questions for sure :)

Welcome! :wave:

Besides the test kit, the CYA, and some bleach, you'll also need a few tools.

A thermometer, a pole, a brush head (nylon, not stainless steel) a leaf skimmer, and probably some kind of vacuum. The good news is, everything there but the brush head will probably outlast the pool, so it's just a one-time expense.

Welcome! I'll throw in another recommendation for the tf-100. I have the same pool only 2 feet bigger. TFP is a great place to learn and get tons of help for taking care of your pool.

If this is your first time setting up pool in your yard remember the most important thing is to make sure it's level! It's usually the most annoying part of setup but it's necessary.

Have fun with your reading and if you come across something you don't understand, ask away!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.