Starting my SLAM... Dangit, I knew better.

Pflugerpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
I've been battling the most terrible, awful, horrible pollen this spring due to several wetter than average months, and the pool floor's been covered with fine, puffy sediments that get stirred up by the Dolphin and make the water cloudy for a day or so.

When I looked at the pool yesterday though, my first thought was that the pollen hadn't settled/been filtered out, but then with a sickening feeling I realized that now it had a decidedly green tinge to it. ****!

I knew what my target FC should be and I've been dosing it since it warmed up and was uncovered early this spring, but due to a series of family medical problems that took me out of town a day hee and a day there, I think I got sloppy and let my FC slip. BOOM. Algae.

So last night I started my SLAM. Due to a CYA level of 80 that I haven't been able to finally address yet, my shock level is 31. I got the FC up to 33 last night, and rechecked this morning - down to 27. Almost a 20% drop overnight. So yep, looks like algae. I ran out and bought nine more gallons of 8.25% Clorox last night, so I'm equipped and determined to succeed.

It's nice to have the tools to know exactly what I need to do, instead of guessing and throwing pool store "solutions" at it.

Bummer. Try to get as much of that pollen out of the pool so it is not consuming the chlorine ... likely should clean the filter out too.
Fortunately I think the pecan tree is about done blooming, so I'm hoping we're around that corner. I'm on a cartridge filter and I've got two elements, so I am swapping them out regularly. And to add insult to injury it's still raining all week!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.