Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long after adding 6 inches of water can I test Salt Levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jersey side of Philadelphia

How long after adding 6 inches of water can I test Salt Levels?

I am running the filter as I add fresh water to the pool. I drained about 6 inches because my salt level is 4800 ppm. I have a 24500 gallon pool. I intend to circulate for the appropriate time, then drain again by backwashing (I haven't figured out how to drain from the main drains--pool builder never went over). I hope that the foot or so in new water will bring my salt levels down to around 4000 ppm.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: How long after adding 6 inches of water can I test Salt Levels?

We generally say 30 minutes to an hour before a retest, but it would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons

• If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
    • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
    • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
    • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.

Plus if you cold update your profile to give us a location that often helps with answers also.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon