Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frog got sucked inside the skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Frog got sucked inside the skimmer

Hi Folks,
    I am Avi and I am a first time home owner (with a pool) and hence have the below question:
    The previous owner came over and showed me how to open the pool and everything was running just fine. This morning, I opened the skimmer to clean it up and saw a couple of frogs in it. I was able to remove one of the frog when I puled the basket out, but the other one got sucked inside the skimmer or the hole in the skimmer. Once this happened I see that the pressure of the water coming out of the ports for circulation (sorry don't know the technical term nor English my first language) is very less or decreased drastically. I am not sure how to get the frog out nor should I shut the motor off (it is running now). Could you please advice on what needs to be done to get the frog out(hopefully alive) and get the pool up and running as it was earlier? Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Avi.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frog got sucked inside the skimmer

Welcome to TFP!

Well, in the future you'll want to turn the pump off before you pull the basket. They get in my pool too, and I have to chase them around the basket to get them out.

The good news is it isn't permanent.

You can keep the pump running as long as you have water in the strainer basket at the pump.

Fill us in on what kind of pool you have and we can probably advise better on how to sort it out.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm afraid it sounds like there is little hope for Mr. Frog...

First thing I would check is to see if the frog made it all the way to the pump basket or not. It may be lodged in there, reducing the ability of the pump to pull water in from the skimmer. Open the pump basket lid and take out the basket, see if the frog is stuck in the pipe coming into the pump or in the basket. If you don't find it there, you may need to try fishing a wire or closet snake down the skimmer hole to dislodge the poor fellow. Just be careful not to force anything down there, causing damage, and use something that you can retrieve without it breaking off in the plumbing. That would be... unfortunate to say the least.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi John and JVTrain:
    Thanks for your time and reply. It is an in ground gunite pool 25000 gallons big. I checked the basket near the pump motor and there was nothing. I will try to fish it out and hopefully get the little one out.

5. Back To Top    #5

Try opening the pump basket and wrapping a rag around a hose and put it in the pump opening to force water backward toward the skimmer ... hopefully frog (likely dead now) will pop out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quick update: found the dead frog near the pump basket. Poor guy did not survive. Lesson learnt-to turn off the pump while cleaning the skimmer basket. Thanks again all!

7. Back To Top    #7

If it starts to become a regular thing, you could shop for one of the skimmer lids with an escape ramp.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Whoa! Does that really exist? They just make everything these days!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

25k Gal, IG Vinyl, 26" Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP (SP-2607x10), Installed late 90s? (bought house in 2015), K-2006 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir & extra reagents from TFTestKits.com (Buying TF-100 next year instead of Taylor refills!)
    Helpful Links - Pool School - Read Everything Twice! : SLAM Procedure to clean up a green monster : CYA-FC Relation Chart : Pool Math Calculator : My First Pool Opening

10. Back To Top    #10

Now I just need a good trick to keep the snakes out of my slimmer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just could not convince myself spending $30+ bucks on the critter skimmer, hence went ahead and ordered the Skimmer angel. At least I won't be grossed out trying to get the bucket out and in turn letting the frogs back into the skimmer.