Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pollen pollen pollen

1. Back To Top    #1

Pollen pollen pollen

So we are in NJ are it is crazy pollen season right now. There is a film of pollen over the surface of the entire pool- can't really skim it it is too fine- plus a green/yellow line running all around the edge of the pool where the top of the water touches the tile.
    Any tricks on cleaning this stuff? Maybe opening the pool later in the season next year...
    Inground Pool Completed April 2015
    Salt Water Generator- Nature 2 Fusion Soft
    33,500 gallons, Gunite/White Plaster
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Pollen pollen pollen

The pollen does seem high this year. Or, because of the pool I notice it more.

Brush the waterline and if the skimmer doesn't get the stuff floating it will eventually sink and the vacuum will get it.

You really don't want a late opening. Dealing with a little pollen is a whole lot easier than finding a swamp when you pull back the cover. It's better to close late and open early. Algae growth is retarded by cold water - figure in the 50's and below so if you close with cold water and open with cold water your chances of a clean open are increased.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Skimmer socks or knee highs in your skimmer basket will help catch the finer stuff. Be careful though because they can clog fast and completely and stop water flow through the skimmer. And +1 on crazy pollen this spring. I'll go ahead and put it out there and jinx myself. I think we're almost finished down here, last several days have been better!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Central MD

I wouldn't go more than 12 hours without checking the skimmer socks during peak pollen season. I just run the pump for longer periods and it all gathers in the skimmer or cartridges. Then I clean the cartridges after the heavy season is over and then I don't clean them again until fall. BTW - I see you have a mineral system. You may want to read up on them here. They basically have only negative attributes and no positive ones - i.e. a lose-lose scenario. They are not needed.

Congrats on the new pool!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013