Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intake problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intake problem?

My wife and I decided to open the pool this year ourselves. We have only owned an inground pool for 2+ years and would still consider us novice level. The returns continue to show signs of problems. (inconsistent pressure and bubbles) We have an inground 22k gallon pool with a liner, 1 skimmer, and DE filtration system.
    Steps taken.
    1. Released air in filter several times.
    2. Completely cleaned DE flter.
    3. Garden hose in intake hole of pump to clear any possible debri stuck in impeller
    4. Closed skimmer intake in skimmer box leaving the drain for intake. Nothing was reaching the pump. I suspect this is the problem. Thoughts on what I can do next to narrow down the problem?

Thanks
    Jimmy
    Reevesy
    Marlton, NJ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intake problem?

Where are you seeing the bubbles and what do you mean by inconsistent pressure?

How far up the skimmer opening is the pool water level?
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Bubbles are in the return water flow. I go to the filter, let the air out and the go away but then come back minutes later.

Water is half way (2nd screw) of the skimmer.
    Reevesy
    Marlton, NJ

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

You have a suction side air leak. See if this helps you find it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...side-air-leaks
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 what Jason said

or

When the filter is running:

Is the weir (door) being pulled into the skimmer body or is it standing straight up? It should lay down into the skimmer body when the pump is running. If not, gently push on it from the pool side to check for freedom of movement. It should move freely.

If the weir is ok, is there a vortex in the skimmer? If there is, the skimmer is sucking air into the filter. That usually means there is not enough water in the pool. Looking at the skimmer faceplate, some manufacturers emboss an arrow or some other sort of indicator line that shows the recommend water level. The pool should be at or above (within reason) that indicator line. If the water is below the line, add some water to the pool.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

When I close the valve on the skimmer so it only pulls water from the drain, I get nothing. I am thinking the main drain is cloged. What is the best/cheapest way to blow out the main drain?
    Reevesy
    Marlton, NJ

7. Back To Top    #7

What happens if the skimmer is the only thing open? A clog in the main drain would not cause air to be sucked in if the skimmer is also open.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't have a Jandy Valve to shut down the main drain.
    Reevesy
    Marlton, NJ

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, if nothing is pulled from the floor, then why would that cause an air problem when the skimmer is open?

Maybe some pictures of your setup would help?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator