Guestimate on how much bleach/chlorine usage?

Mar 26, 2015
Tulsa/Oklahoma
I realize that there are several factors that play in here, but I'm wondering about how much bleach liquid chlorine I can expect to use over the course of the summer season? Let's assume my ph, alk, cy, etc are all acceptable levels, and I don't end up getting any algae outbreaks. I'm curious as to what you think a 22k gallon pool here in Oklahoma, would consume bleach/chlorine wise? Reason I'm asking is there is a sale at the local Atwoods on bleach (5.25%) .99 gallon, and chlorine (10%) 2.99 gallon. I wanted to stock up.

There's a Pool Math calculator on Trouble Free Pools that will tell you how much chlorine you need at this moment.

I believe the consensus is somewhere around 2ppm every day. In your pool I'm guessing that would be about a gallon of your 5.25% bleach.

Depending on how many days your summer is. Multiplying the number of days by the amount of bleach you use each day will give you a ball park number.
However, I wouldn't stock up too much in advance as bleach loses potency over time. I keep a month's worth of 8.25% and it doesn't degrade much in a month.

If you figure about 2 ppm FC loss per day, and your swim season is 150 days long, you'll use about 77 gallons of 8.25% bleach the entire season. That's about 81 bottles of 8.25%. Or about 122 bottles of 5.25%.

24 gallons 10% for a clean pool of that size will last a little while yes. Just estimating, you'll use 60-70 ounces daily depending on what you lose. Some will be a little weaker by the time you get to it though, so unless you want more than a month out supply, I would wait. I'm like Bama, I'd rather not have it around for more than about a month. 10% degrades faster than 8.25% by a little, so there isn't much point if you see what I mean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.