Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Guestimate on how much bleach/chlorine usage?

1. Back To Top    #1

Guestimate on how much bleach/chlorine usage?

I realize that there are several factors that play in here, but I'm wondering about how much bleach liquid chlorine I can expect to use over the course of the summer season? Let's assume my ph, alk, cy, etc are all acceptable levels, and I don't end up getting any algae outbreaks. I'm curious as to what you think a 22k gallon pool here in Oklahoma, would consume bleach/chlorine wise? Reason I'm asking is there is a sale at the local Atwoods on bleach (5.25%) .99 gallon, and chlorine (10%) 2.99 gallon. I wanted to stock up.
    1972 - 22,500 gallon, In-ground Kidney shape Gunite pool built by Fiesta pools (2015 remodel), Sta-Rite sand filter Model 9462404 side mount ( Triton II TR60 is newer Equivalent), 3.1 sq ft., Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Leslies Coppertherm (Raypak) PL 260AEN 260,00 BTU Heater, Anchor Defender Mesh Safety Cover, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dolphin Z5 Robotic Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Guestimate on how much bleach/chlorine usage?

There's a Pool Math calculator on Trouble Free Pools that will tell you how much chlorine you need at this moment.

I believe the consensus is somewhere around 2ppm every day. In your pool I'm guessing that would be about a gallon of your 5.25% bleach.
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Depending on how many days your summer is. Multiplying the number of days by the amount of bleach you use each day will give you a ball park number.
    However, I wouldn't stock up too much in advance as bleach loses potency over time. I keep a month's worth of 8.25% and it doesn't degrade much in a month.

If you figure about 2 ppm FC loss per day, and your swim season is 150 days long, you'll use about 77 gallons of 8.25% bleach the entire season. That's about 81 bottles of 8.25%. Or about 122 bottles of 5.25%.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tips. I can see using much more than I figured. I bought 24 gallons of the 10% to start off. May go back and grab some of the 5.25%
    1972 - 22,500 gallon, In-ground Kidney shape Gunite pool built by Fiesta pools (2015 remodel), Sta-Rite sand filter Model 9462404 side mount ( Triton II TR60 is newer Equivalent), 3.1 sq ft., Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Leslies Coppertherm (Raypak) PL 260AEN 260,00 BTU Heater, Anchor Defender Mesh Safety Cover, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dolphin Z5 Robotic Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by h2oluver View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I can see using much more than I figured. I bought 24 gallons of the 10% to start off. May go back and grab some of the 5.25%
    I would not get more. You have plenty now, maybe too much. This was a new fill right?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes new fill. You think I have plenty? This my first time doing the TF method so I have no experience to base my usage off.

7. Back To Top    #7

24 gallons 10% for a clean pool of that size will last a little while yes. Just estimating, you'll use 60-70 ounces daily depending on what you lose. Some will be a little weaker by the time you get to it though, so unless you want more than a month out supply, I would wait. I'm like Bama, I'd rather not have it around for more than about a month. 10% degrades faster than 8.25% by a little, so there isn't much point if you see what I mean.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds good. I'll go with what I have for now.

9. Back To Top    #9

I love your enthusiasm, 24 gallons is a serious start. Love it!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: