Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Excuse me Sir, can you check my plumbing...? (Diagram)

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Excuse me Sir, can you check my plumbing...? (Diagram)

Ok guys I'm about to plumb in some new toys to my pool. I know enough about plumbing to be dangerous.

Please check out my schematic and let me know what you would do differently...

Thanks a bunch, Brannon

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Excuse me Sir, can you check my plumbing...? (Diagram)

Does the pool have two skimmers? if so I would situate everything between the two. if not you only need one with a round pool. keep the one closest to the return. you should redo the plumbing where the solar panels and the heater are. you want each of those to be in parallel with the rest of the set up. like this (will add the drawing when I get home). the reason to have the heater and solar panel in parallel with the rest of the plumbing is because you do not want to have water flowing through them all the time, and you would need to be able to isolate them from the rest of the circuit for maintenance on each piece. the check valve after the filter to me seems like it's out of place; if you are going to have that many check valves you might want to place one more between the skimmer and the pump? not sure on that one.

Here is my proposed solution
    Last edited by pbhound; 05-13-2015 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added plumbing diagram
    AG 24' round 15k gal
    cartridge filter 125sf

3. Back To Top    #3

I also like a shut off on each skimmer so that you can isolate one if need be.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is oval shapes and nothing is plumbed in yet.

The reason I put in the second skimmer was two fold.
    1. The wind sometimes blows that way and it would get debris out.
    2. If a small pool toy or even one leaf got in my skimmer basket the pump would suck in air.

I really don't think is feasible to put my equipment between the skimmers.
    Is there something else I need to do with the plumbing if it had to be on that side?

Thanks, Brannon
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

5. Back To Top    #5

Nix the check valve after the heater ... no need with a SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it, is that because it doesn't produce enough chlorine to worry about?
    And FYI it's a copper heat exchanger that why I put the check valve in there but if not needed I'm nixing it.

I will add shutoff valves to each skimmer I thought I could use the 3 way valve as a shutoff.

Thanks so much for the help, I'm so excited to get this pool hooked up!
    Brannon

7. Back To Top    #7

The SWG will only be generating when the pump is on, so even if chlorine was the problem, it could not get back to the heater.

Check valves are needed for the trichlor tablet feeders, because they continue to dissolve when the pump is off and that very acidic water could back up into the heater.

The 3-way would allow you to select one of the other of the skimmers, but not necessarily shut off both.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Got it, for some reason I through the three way valve would shutoff both...

Is there any reason to install a heater bypass for example slamming the pool?

Thanks, Brannon

9. Back To Top    #9

Some people do, some people don't. Either way is fine. It is easier to add now than later.

Just keep your pool clear so you do not have to SLAM
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Is there a pool specific shutoff valve that you suggest I get or should I just go to home depot?

11. Back To Top    #11

The pool valves like the Jandy Neverlube are much nicer that the PVC ball valves ... although their price reflects that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Is a Jandy two way valve the same thing as a shutoff valve?

Thanks, Brannon

13. Back To Top    #13

Am I going to have a problem having a second skimmer on the far side off the pool and my pump next to the original skimmer and equipment on the other?

Thanks, Brannon

14. Back To Top    #14

You can partially close the near skimmer to force suction to the far skimmer.

And yes a 2-way is a shutoff valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

i would change the shutoff valve after the SWC to a check valve. just in case you leave the shutoff closed and the pump starts up it will blow the swc cell off.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.

16. Back To Top    #16

Got it!

Will these check valves work with my setup?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0039L...KgL&ref=plSrch

Thanks, Brannon

17. Back To Top    #17

Better to use the flapper style, Jandy and Pentair make them. They have lower headloss and you can rebuild them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator