Green Pool in OKC - Getting ready for Weekend Attack

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
All,

I am getting ready to attack the the green swamp I created by waiting this long to open the pool with the added bonus of mud and dirt recently added due to major rains. We are new pool owners, just bought a house with an older pool last summer and fought the pool all summer long. I am about to open for the season, and this year I want to open it and go BBB all the way. I am reading the sticky and I am messing with the pool math, but I do have a few questions I would like to post in this thread...

0. Is it a waste of time to do this if it will rain a lot this weekend?

1. We had major major rain last week, like 8 inches in 6 hours. We got some dirt/mud in the pool, not sure how much. How much of that should I try to get out before I start the SLAM process to clear the green? It may be just a thin layer, it may be a lot more, the cover is still on.

2. Old pool owner had a full bottle of SUPER FLOC left over, should I use that at all with these suspended solids from the rain?

Looking here, I could not determine the following 3 things: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3913-Turning-Your-Green-Swamp-Back-into-a-Sparkling-Oasis

3. "Add enough chlorine to bring the pool up to shock level. Wait half an hour. Then test the FC level, and add enough chlorine to bring the FC back up to shock level. Repeat this cycle: test, add chlorine, wait, as many times as you have time for, or until the FC level remains nearly at shock level after a one hour wait."
What is considered "shock level"? 10PPM, 20?

4. What is the recommended CYA target, mine is 20 which I read is low. Is the CYA recommended number different for a liner pool?

5. When I am all done, what FC level to I want to try to maintain?

6. What are the ideal numbers for my signature described pool...

Here is what that gal Leslie said about my pool before I got the TF-100.
FC = 0
Available Chlorine = 0
CH = 200
CYA = 20
TA = 80
pH = 7.4
Copper and Iron both = 0
Total dissolved Solids = 300
Phosphates =300

I hope this many questions up front is not a problem, if so I will split up. Thanks all, great site!!

0. Is it a waste of time to do this if it will rain a lot this weekend? No, algae grows in the rains o you can kill it in the rain, but you will get wet

1. We had major major rain last week, like 8 inches in 6 hours. We got some dirt/mud in the pool, not sure how much. How much of that should I try to get out before I start the SLAM process to clear the green? It may be just a thin layer, it may be a lot more, the cover is still on. Get out as much as you can. Do you have a vacuum, vacuum t waste if possible.

2. Old pool owner had a full bottle of SUPER FLOC left over, should I use that at all with these suspended solids from the rain? No, do not use it

Looking here, I could not determine the following 3 things: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...parkling-Oasis

3. "Add enough chlorine to bring the pool up to shock level. Wait half an hour. Then test the FC level, and add enough chlorine to bring the FC back up to shock level. Repeat this cycle: test, add chlorine, wait, as many times as you have time for, or until the FC level remains nearly at shock level after a one hour wait."

4. What is the recommended CYA target, mine is 20 which I read is low. Is the CYA recommended number different for a liner pool? Here are the recommended levels and the Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. When I am all done, what FC level to I want to try to maintain? See chart listed above

6. What are the ideal numbers for my signature described pool... See recommended levels listed above

We like questions and that you keep them all in one place.

As far as Leslies goes, ignor the TDS & Phosphates - just numbers that really odn't mean anything that they use to try to sell stuff. We will wait to see your numbers with your kit.

0. Is it a waste of time to do this if it will rain a lot this weekend? No, algae grows in the rains o you can kill it in the rain, but you will get wet

1. We had major major rain last week, like 8 inches in 6 hours. We got some dirt/mud in the pool, not sure how much. How much of that should I try to get out before I start the SLAM process to clear the green? It may be just a thin layer, it may be a lot more, the cover is still on. Get out as much as you can. Do you have a vacuum, vacuum t waste if possible.

2. Old pool owner had a full bottle of SUPER FLOC left over, should I use that at all with these suspended solids from the rain? No, do not use it

Looking here, I could not determine the following 3 things: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...parkling-Oasis

4. What is the recommended CYA target, mine is 20 which I read is low. Is the CYA recommended number different for a liner pool? Here are the recommended levels and the Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. When I am all done, what FC level to I want to try to maintain? See chart listed above

6. What are the ideal numbers for my signature described pool... See recommended levels listed above

We like questions and that you keep them all in one place.

As far as Leslies goes, ignor the TDS & Phosphates - just numbers that really odn't mean anything that they use to try to sell stuff. We will wait to see your numbers with your kit.

OH, super sweet tim, I had just found this link, and you answered everything else... http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

You guys rock, i thank you so much. BTW, my big question... Once I get this thing under control and we are just maintaining and keeping the chlorine level at 4 with 30 CYA, how much chlorine am I adding daily, or in other words how much am I going to be spending on Bleach?

You guys rock, i thank you so much. BTW, my big question... Once I get this thing under control and we are just maintaining and keeping the chlorine level at 4 with 30 CYA, how much chlorine am I adding daily, or in other words how much am I going to be spending on Bleach?
There are a lot of variables involved, so it's really hard to say. Don't hold me to it but maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 bottle a day? +/- maybe?

Lets get it clean and sparkling then dial in the CYA so you use the least amount possible.

Hi caliskier,
Tim and pooldv and given everything you need to know to clear your pool. The only thing I can add, is when you hit it, hit hard and do not let up. Be diligent in testing your water as often as possible. THat means several times a day and as often as every couple of hours, and keeping the FC at SLAM level. The harder you hit it early on, the quicker it will go.

one more thing, it takes a lot of testing to complete the slam, and so you will be using a lot of teh chlorine test regents.
Recommend that you might consider getting another bottle of R0871 test regent so you dont run out in the middle of your slam.
and if necessary, the R003 and teh powder if you think you might possibly run out of those.

Hi caliskier,
Tim and pooldv and given everything you need to know to clear your pool. The only thing I can add, is when you hit it, hit hard and do not let up. Be diligent in testing your water as often as possible. THat means several times a day and as often as every couple of hours, and keeping the FC at SLAM level. The harder you hit it early on, the quicker it will go.

one more thing, it takes a lot of testing to complete the slam, and so you will be using a lot of teh chlorine test regents.
Recommend that you might consider getting another bottle of R0871 test regent so you dont run out in the middle of your slam.
and if necessary, the R003 and teh powder if you think you might possibly run out of those.

Thanks, yes I also got the extra bottle of R0871 with my tf100 purchase.

Thanks all for the help, just spoke to the wife this morning, we have a wedding to go to late Saturday... So here is our plan, let me know if this is going to be a problem...

Friday 6:00pm - Remove cover, flush out pool antifreeze from skimmers and hottub, open all returns, Drain and scrub plaster hot tub, vacuum liner pool / clean pool. No Chlorine yet leave hot tub empty overnight to prevent algae growth (is this a bad idea?). Maybe I close it off and pour chlorine in it and let it sit overnight.
Saturday 7:00am - SLAM, Attack Go.
Saturday 3:00pm - stop, get ready for wedding
Saturday 4:00pm - add chlorine on more time head to wedding
Saturday 9:00pm - return from wedding and add more chlorine
Saturday 11:00pm - check on last time before going to bed
Sunday 3:00am - Check and add chlorine - Do I need to do this one or just wait until 7:00
Sunday 7:00 am - evaluate chlorine level and continue the slam process as needed...

Let me know if that 5 hour break on Saturday is going to be an issue and if I should wait instead. I would rather work Saturday and Sunday which leaves less work for my wife on Sunday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many people have breaks in their SLAM as life/family comes first. If you have water moving Friday night I would go ahead and start then if you still have the energy.

Personaly I wouldn't be getting up at 3AM, but if you are young & vigorous go for it. What is it going to take, 15 minutes to test and adjust back up to shock level?

Many people have breaks in their SLAM as life/family comes first. If you have water moving Friday night I would go ahead and start then if you still have the energy.

Personaly I wouldn't be getting up at 3AM, but if you are young & vigorous go for it. What is it going to take, 15 minutes to test and adjust back up to shock level?

Ok, so a 5 hour break in the process after 8 hours of work is not going to set us back?

Ok, so a 5 hour break in the process after 8 hours of work is not going to set us back?
No, not really. The directions for the SLAM process indicate that twice a day testing and adjusting is the minimum, but anything over and above that can speed things up. Many people do it once before work and then a couple of times after work during the week. The more you can maintain the shock level the better.

One other question, if I bring my pool / hot tub to shock level, 12 ppm, is it bad for me physically to get in the water and scrubb the steps?
It is safe to swim up to shock level. Hard on swimsuits & clothing maybe, but safe.

I think the steps would be fine, but I would caution you away form the deep water unless you can see to the bottom. We like everyone in the water to be safe, and part of that is being able to be seen if in distress.

Ok, Need to go out and get Cyanuric Acid (CYA).

1. Where should I go to get it, could not find it at Lowes...
2. What brand...
3. Says I will need 76oz of liquid stabilizer, and 31oz of solid stabilzier. Should I buy 2x that much as over the summer I might need to adjust as I add water?

Walmart in the Pool Section.
Its called Stabilizer and Conditioner. Walmart carries HTH which a lot of us use, but any brand is fine.

You dont need both liquid and dry. Pool math says liquid OR dry... Just get the dry. Liquid is expensive and not as potent as the dry.
get 2x .. over the course of the summer, teh CYA will probably drop a bit from backwashing, rain overflow, splashout etc.

It doesnt go bad either, so if you dont use it all this year, you can carry it over till next.

Ok, Need to go out and get Cyanuric Acid (CYA).

1. Where should I go to get it, could not find it at Lowes...
2. What brand...
3. Says I will need 76oz of liquid stabilizer, and 31oz of solid stabilzier. Should I buy 2x that much as over the summer I might need to adjust as I add water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.