Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baja step depth?

1. Back To Top    #1

Baja step depth?

I was thinking 12" but I see 6", 9". Recs? Rational for any depth.

Thx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baja step depth?

6" allows you to put a sun lounger in there and still be above the water.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is 6, 9 or 12 would be better. A chaise in 6" of water might as well be on the pool deck. We sit on the edge of the shelf some and it would be better with more water. I think it would be better for the dogs too. Unless you have little mutts.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

pooldv, what is the dog issue, can yours not stand up in the shallow end?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Eh? No, they can't stand up, in 3-1/2' of water. They like to hang out on the sunshelf. It seems like it would be better for them if the water was a little deeper.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

ours is being built now it will be about 15 or so inches deep, we decided to put ours on the second step level instead of the first.
    (Started 4/20/15) 32' x 16' In-ground Presidential Pools(3-5-4) 14K gallon salt water pool, Pebble Radiance Kona Blue, Pentair Inteiliflo pump, 420 Cartridge filter, Q-360 in-floor cleaning, Eclipse drain, 2 Spectrum 360 LED lights, Grotto w/waterfall, Trazocrete table with bench seating, 2 deck jets, Baja step, 400 sq ft acrylic lace deck - Sonoran Stone.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I was thinking a 12" of water on that shelf, then you could be in a chair/lounge or sit on the edge. thanks I am trying to get ideas for a design.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

We went with 6" (water depth) our dogs are little and anything more than 6" would be too deep. I also wanted to be able to sit in a lounge chair without getting soaked - I work from home and can work from there - or just take short breaks and chill - then come back in and finish the day. I really wanted a deeper one - but for those 2 reasons we went with 6" My pool is still being built - so I will have to tell you how it works later!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, your pool spec look very similar to what I am designing. I am looking at 30-32 x 16-18 free form at 4' -5- 4' and a raised 7-8ft spa. with spill over. Getting freaked out by soil testing issues at this point. Have not signed a contract as we are still in the early stages.

This is what we are thinking, sorry about the basic drawing.
    IMG_3924.JPG

What's your design like?
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

10. Back To Top    #10

That looks AWESOME! Here is a link to my build thread - it has lots of pictures in it. I love the shape the first one is very similar to mine!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...e-say-hi-Y-all
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

11. Back To Top    #11

Love your design! They are very similar, I will be following your build, looks great!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Titan7 View Post
    Thanks, your pool spec look very similar to what I am designing. I am looking at 30-32 x 16-18 free form at 4' -5- 4' and a raised 7-8ft spa. with spill over. Getting freaked out by soil testing issues at this point. Have not signed a contract as we are still in the early stages.

This is what we are thinking, sorry about the basic drawing.
    IMG_3924.JPG

What's your design like?
    That looks very simialr to the pool we just put in (top drawing). except we have a shallow end and a deep end. we have about a 10" baja deck. could probably be 12" and be just fine.
    2014-12-19 16.38.19.jpg
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    That looks very simialr to the pool we just put in (top drawing). except we have a shallow end and a deep end. we have about a 10" baja deck. could probably be 12" and be just fine.
    2014-12-19 16.38.19.jpg
    Wow, very nice! What's the length and width of your pool? 8ft spa?

Thx

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I vote for the first or top drawing. The pool we're building now is more like the bottom drawing regarding the spa. When I first stepped down into the pool after gunite, I could tell I didn't like how the spa blocked the view of the water on the other side of the spa unless I moved more to the center. You have a better view of the whole pull with the spa bumped out in the first drawing! Oh boy! You're in for a lot of fun!! Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

My shelf is top stair depth, think that is like 5 or 6 inches. I partially disagree with the answer someone gave above that a chaise lounge out of water might as well be on the deck. We have beach chairs, the kind with very short legs. This allows people to sit in the chair, keep their butts dry, but have their legs in the water. It is a very nice setup. Not to say the 12 inches is bad, I'm just saying that I like what I have.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

we use the tommy bahama chairs on the deck and they work great. i think my spa is 7ft or 8ft but i forget. can easily seat like 6/7 adults comfortably. the pool is basically 30ftx16ft. kinda forgot to be honest and im out of town right now or i would measure for you. same sort of thing though, elevated spa and the stair and pool shape is extremely similar to your design.
    2015-03-26 20.29.03.jpg
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.