Finally got the Nerve to install Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer... WITH PICS

Jul 7, 2014
Plainfield,NJ
Well guys I finally got the nerve today to install the Skimmer in my Intex 20 X 52 Pool and boy was I nervous.. When I made the first cut to the end of the install I have to admit I was Shaking like A Teenager on his First Date..

But anyway for anyone waiting or hesistating to do this custom install let me say that with carefull planning it can be done it took me a year but it was clearly needed. I filled the pool and It works perfectly and the greatest thing NO LEAKS.

Attachments

• WP_20150512_004.jpg
    WP_20150512_004.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 581
  • WP_20150512_005.jpg
    WP_20150512_005.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 581
  • WP_20150512_006.jpg
    WP_20150512_006.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 604
Nice work. I have a regular mouth sitting in the box still. I am debating if I will in tall it this season or wait until next season when we will likely upgrade or buy a new liner.

My over the wall works great but you have to keep a good eye on it as even with a sock stuff will sneak through the hose and be stuck on my strainer.

And a dumber question... Why are the ladder steps facing the wrong way? lol:p I just ordered my skimmer. I had asked someone about the wide mouth, but they said that it was a bad idea based on the roundness of the pool. It's a 20'. Oh well. Hope to have my skimmer in on Saturday and have pool completely full by Sunday morning.

Any tips on best approach? I'm working up my nerve to do this. For those who have one installed, do you feel it was worth it?

Absolutely! No more kids knocking the over the wall basket off, and you can hook up a real vacuum.

This is probably a dumb question, but did you do the install with the pool up? Or is it easier to do on the floor of the garage?

Do it with the pool up. Just drain below the bottom of the hole you need to cut. I fear if you installed it on an empty liner, it might stretch a bit when you fill it and rip the holes out.

Reactions: Andrew_D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do it with the pool up. Just drain below the bottom of the hole you need to cut. I fear if you installed it on an empty liner, it might stretch a bit when you fill it and rip the holes out.

You have inspired me! Because I have to know everything before I can make a decision (type A personality), I have just a couple more questions.
  1. May I ask the model # of your skimmer?
  2. Did you order an additional gasket so that one can be placed on both sides of liner?
  3. Does the skimmer come with everything that is needed to install and operate?
I will save the hard plumbing questions for after I take the skimmer leap! :lol:

*I'm loving all the things I am learning at this forum. Thanks to all who share their knowledge!

My skimmer install is toward the end of this thread. I have the Hayward Dyna-skim.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=73741

If you drain below the hole, you only need the one butterfly gasket, and you don't need to split it.

Yes, it comes with everything you need, including the vacuum attachment.

We have the dynaskim on our 20' round pool. I'm pretty sure there are pics in my build thread. For those of you preparing to install yours, here is my advice. Drain or don't drain, it doesn't really matter. If you don't get the screws tight enough, it will leak either way. Personally, if doing it again, I would drain the water down a few inches below skimmer level but install it with the split gasket as if I didn't drain. The frame makes a nice template to cut the hole in the side of the pool and having a dry screwdriver would have been nice. If you choose to cut your gasket in half, MAKE SURE you trim the lip that is left behind leaving you with two flat gaskets. Before you start make sure you have a #3 Philips screwdriver. This is very important as you will never get the screws tight enough with a #2 Philips. As you are getting the screws tight, they are going to make nine kinds of cracking and popping noises and you are going to think you are breaking the plastic. These sounds are normal. When you bring the water level back up, if there is a little seepage, get your #3 Philips screwdriver back out and tighten the screws more. You will probably start thinking you should have put silicone on the gasket but it is not necessary. These Hayward skimmers are well engineered. You are going to love it!

Sadly I will never be installing a skimmer as such, as I take my pool down every year for the winter. Way too cold here during those months, and I do not want to damage the liner. We get to -35 during our winters, so why take the chance. I have seen several pool as ours end up with damage after the winter.

I put a Hayward standard skimmer in my old INTEX 18' ultra frame pool and it never leaked a drop.
We split the gasket and drained just enough water to be below the skimmer and also hard lined with 1-1/2 pvc to a Waterway 1HP 19" sand filter and added a PVC sprinkler.

It's funny but by reading these post I just realized the steps on the ladder were on wrong. Thanks for pointing it out. That what I get for a rush job. Lmao.

To any one deciding to do this install, take your time and always cut gently. I'm my case the butterfly gasket was a bit big so I had to trim the hole a bit for everything to fit. But in the end it all when the in with no leaks.

Full or empty? That's a good question. I was afraid to install it empty and then filling it to have the liner stretch or rip as it filled so I opted to fill it to just below the install position. This way the liner was nice and stretched.

The only I'm watching now is the weight of the hanging skimmer on the pool. My kids could get a little wild in the pool and it seems heavy so I might invent a support to keep it from bouncing.

There are absolutely no regrets on the install. I'm just trying to get the water level right to get the right amount of pull from the filters. I had the pool filled to much and it wasn't skimming efficiently.

Any suggestions on how height the skimmer level should be?

Sadly I will never be installing a skimmer as such, as I take my pool down every year for the winter. Way too cold here during those months, and I do not want to damage the liner. We get to -35 during our winters, so why take the chance. I have seen several pool as ours end up with damage after the winter.

So is it not a wise idea to install a Hayward Skimmer if your pool is taken down every year?? We will be putting up our pool for the first time this weekend and was thinking about buying a Hayward.

What's everyones thoughts on this.

Thanks

I know this has been asked at least a hundred times, but if I opt to install a skimmer, what new fittings will I need to reattach my intex hoses to my intex sand filter. I live in a small town, and the nearest big box hardware store is over an hour away. Way too far to keep running back and forth to make sure we get the correct size fittings.

Just a hose clamp. The skimmer has a tapered adapter that you can slide the intex hose onto and then clamp it down.

temporary_zps91dbac76.jpg

I did choose to move my cutoff valve to the other end of the hose so I could shut off the water to the pump if needed.

Just a hose clamp. The skimmer has a tapered adapter that you can slide the intex hose onto and then clamp it down.

temporary_zps91dbac76.jpg

I did choose to move my cutoff valve to the other end of the hose so I could shut off the water to the pump if needed.

Very nice putting the shutoff valve on the pump side. This would make my maintainance easier.. I'll be borrowing your idea...

I love this site

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.