Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got the Nerve to install Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer... WITH PICS

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally got the Nerve to install Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer... WITH PICS

Well guys I finally got the nerve today to install the Skimmer in my Intex 20 X 52 Pool and boy was I nervous.. When I made the first cut to the end of the install I have to admit I was Shaking like A Teenager on his First Date..

But anyway for anyone waiting or hesistating to do this custom install let me say that with carefull planning it can be done it took me a year but it was clearly needed. I filled the pool and It works perfectly and the greatest thing NO LEAKS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally got the Nerve to install Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer... WITH PICS

Nice Job!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Any tips on best approach? I'm working up my nerve to do this. For those who have one installed, do you feel it was worth it?
    18'x52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Saltwater/sand pump
    Enclosed in retractable greenhouse

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure I could do this yet? I just purchased the one that Intex sells that hangs over the side of the pool. I will give it a try for this season and see how we do.
    Intex 24'x12'x52" Ultra Frame (2014), 8400 gallons (31800 litres), Intex sand filter and pump, Intex SWG, AquaBot Pura4xi, solar blanket. Proud owner of Hydropool Serenity 5 Hot Tub! Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Nice work. I have a regular mouth sitting in the box still. I am debating if I will in tall it this season or wait until next season when we will likely upgrade or buy a new liner.

My over the wall works great but you have to keep a good eye on it as even with a sock stuff will sneak through the hose and be stuck on my strainer.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

This is probably a dumb question, but did you do the install with the pool up? Or is it easier to do on the floor of the garage?
    20x45 in-ground 42k pool and spa built in 1989. Just moved into this home and am still in the learning phase of understanding equipment

8. Back To Top    #8

And a dumber question... Why are the ladder steps facing the wrong way? lol I just ordered my skimmer. I had asked someone about the wide mouth, but they said that it was a bad idea based on the roundness of the pool. It's a 20'. Oh well. Hope to have my skimmer in on Saturday and have pool completely full by Sunday morning.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfarm View Post
    Any tips on best approach? I'm working up my nerve to do this. For those who have one installed, do you feel it was worth it?

Absolutely! No more kids knocking the over the wall basket off, and you can hook up a real vacuum.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferW View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but did you do the install with the pool up? Or is it easier to do on the floor of the garage?

Do it with the pool up. Just drain below the bottom of the hole you need to cut. I fear if you installed it on an empty liner, it might stretch a bit when you fill it and rip the holes out.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    Do it with the pool up. Just drain below the bottom of the hole you need to cut. I fear if you installed it on an empty liner, it might stretch a bit when you fill it and rip the holes out.
    You have inspired me! Because I have to know everything before I can make a decision (type A personality), I have just a couple more questions.
    1. May I ask the model # of your skimmer?
    2. Did you order an additional gasket so that one can be placed on both sides of liner?
    3. Does the skimmer come with everything that is needed to install and operate?

I will save the hard plumbing questions for after I take the skimmer leap!

*I'm loving all the things I am learning at this forum. Thanks to all who share their knowledge!
    20x45 in-ground 42k pool and spa built in 1989. Just moved into this home and am still in the learning phase of understanding equipment

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

My skimmer install is toward the end of this thread. I have the Hayward Dyna-skim.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=73741

If you drain below the hole, you only need the one butterfly gasket, and you don't need to split it.

Yes, it comes with everything you need, including the vacuum attachment.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

We have the dynaskim on our 20' round pool. I'm pretty sure there are pics in my build thread. For those of you preparing to install yours, here is my advice. Drain or don't drain, it doesn't really matter. If you don't get the screws tight enough, it will leak either way. Personally, if doing it again, I would drain the water down a few inches below skimmer level but install it with the split gasket as if I didn't drain. The frame makes a nice template to cut the hole in the side of the pool and having a dry screwdriver would have been nice. If you choose to cut your gasket in half, MAKE SURE you trim the lip that is left behind leaving you with two flat gaskets. Before you start make sure you have a #3 Philips screwdriver. This is very important as you will never get the screws tight enough with a #2 Philips. As you are getting the screws tight, they are going to make nine kinds of cracking and popping noises and you are going to think you are breaking the plastic. These sounds are normal. When you bring the water level back up, if there is a little seepage, get your #3 Philips screwdriver back out and tighten the screws more. You will probably start thinking you should have put silicone on the gasket but it is not necessary. These Hayward skimmers are well engineered. You are going to love it!
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

14. Back To Top    #14

Sadly I will never be installing a skimmer as such, as I take my pool down every year for the winter. Way too cold here during those months, and I do not want to damage the liner. We get to -35 during our winters, so why take the chance. I have seen several pool as ours end up with damage after the winter.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

15. Back To Top    #15

I put a Hayward standard skimmer in my old INTEX 18' ultra frame pool and it never leaked a drop.
    We split the gasket and drained just enough water to be below the skimmer and also hard lined with 1-1/2 pvc to a Waterway 1HP 19" sand filter and added a PVC sprinkler.
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

It's funny but by reading these post I just realized the steps on the ladder were on wrong. Thanks for pointing it out. That what I get for a rush job. Lmao.

To any one deciding to do this install, take your time and always cut gently. I'm my case the butterfly gasket was a bit big so I had to trim the hole a bit for everything to fit. But in the end it all when the in with no leaks.

Full or empty? That's a good question. I was afraid to install it empty and then filling it to have the liner stretch or rip as it filled so I opted to fill it to just below the install position. This way the liner was nice and stretched.

The only I'm watching now is the weight of the hanging skimmer on the pool. My kids could get a little wild in the pool and it seems heavy so I might invent a support to keep it from bouncing.

There are absolutely no regrets on the install. I'm just trying to get the water level right to get the right amount of pull from the filters. I had the pool filled to much and it wasn't skimming efficiently.

Any suggestions on how height the skimmer level should be?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    Sadly I will never be installing a skimmer as such, as I take my pool down every year for the winter. Way too cold here during those months, and I do not want to damage the liner. We get to -35 during our winters, so why take the chance. I have seen several pool as ours end up with damage after the winter.
    So is it not a wise idea to install a Hayward Skimmer if your pool is taken down every year?? We will be putting up our pool for the first time this weekend and was thinking about buying a Hayward.

What's everyones thoughts on this.

Thanks

18. Back To Top    #18

I know this has been asked at least a hundred times, but if I opt to install a skimmer, what new fittings will I need to reattach my intex hoses to my intex sand filter. I live in a small town, and the nearest big box hardware store is over an hour away. Way too far to keep running back and forth to make sure we get the correct size fittings.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Just a hose clamp. The skimmer has a tapered adapter that you can slide the intex hose onto and then clamp it down.

I did choose to move my cutoff valve to the other end of the hose so I could shut off the water to the pump if needed.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    Just a hose clamp. The skimmer has a tapered adapter that you can slide the intex hose onto and then clamp it down.

I did choose to move my cutoff valve to the other end of the hose so I could shut off the water to the pump if needed.
    Very nice putting the shutoff valve on the pump side. This would make my maintainance easier.. I'll be borrowing your idea...

I love this site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast