Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which Liner... Best Brand? Plastimayd?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Which Liner... Best Brand? Plastimayd?

I have a 38 year old 4 ft deep octagon Heldor Pool. I had replaced the liner once at about 17 years and now am about to replace the liner again. While pricing liners I ran across one I thought was ok (the dealer seemed to be very stable in the area and helpful). The only question I have is if all liners are like this one as to material and pattern application. I tried one of the sample pieces to hang on t he pool to see which pattern I liked. While hung I got some white paint overspray on the sample. I had some older sample material (about 3 years older) and tried a wipe with a cloth with some laquer thinner to be sure it would no hurt the pattern.. It did not in any way hurt the liner or pattern. Also I tried a wipe on the area of my older cover where it was protected from the elements by the skimmer surround and again, no impact on the pattern. When I wiped the new sample ALL of the pattern came right off on the rag! I do not know if this is a poorer quality of print than I am used to or if all newer vinyls are like this. Anyone know? How can one know if the vinyl and print quality is very good or to be avoided when the liner fabricators do not make it and may change material vendors?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which Liner... Best Brand? Plastimayd?

Hello shene and welcome. I'm from SWPA too.

Ya know, I was cringing when you mentioned the laquer thinner. I'm not surprised the ink wiped off.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by shene View Post
    I have a 38 year old 4 ft deep octagon Heldor Pool. I had replaced the liner once at about 17 years and now am about to replace the liner again. While pricing liners I ran across one I thought was ok (the dealer seemed to be very stable in the area and helpful). The only question I have is if all liners are like this one as to material and pattern application. I tried one of the sample pieces to hang on t he pool to see which pattern I liked. While hung I got some white paint overspray on the sample. I had some older sample material (about 3 years older) and tried a wipe with a cloth with some laquer thinner to be sure it would no hurt the pattern.. It did not in any way hurt the liner or pattern. Also I tried a wipe on the area of my older cover where it was protected from the elements by the skimmer surround and again, no impact on the pattern. When I wiped the new sample ALL of the pattern came right off on the rag! I do not know if this is a poorer quality of print than I am used to or if all newer vinyls are like this. Anyone know? How can one know if the vinyl and print quality is very good or to be avoided when the liner fabricators do not make it and may change material vendors?
    What brand did you try?
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well unfortunately the EPA has changed rules and regs for all kinds of materials used in the making of liners. That being said the ink doesn't hold up as well as 17 years ago.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics