Annoying "dirt" on pool floor HELP!

GJW

May 12, 2015
Elkmont, Alabama
I have had this problem since last summer. The water is beautiful. I vacuum and everything looks great. A day later, I have patches of what looks like dirt on the pool floor. When I vacuum, it scatters and seems to dissolve in the water. Any ideas on how to get rid of this, or what it might be?

I only have test strips and all appears within normal range on the strip. I have never had this problem with either of my pools until this past summer. After bringing my pool back from "swamp like" green after sitting over the winter, I did treat it for algae and the gray/light brown looking dead algae is all gone. This is darker brown like dirt. With it continuing to appear after closing and reopening the pool, I am really confused.

Sounds like a story we often hear ... it has been fine for years ... until it is not.

Without good test numbers it is impossible to offer advice. If you want to take control, I highly suggest you invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. Test strips are garbage.

How do you chlorinate your pool? I am willing to bet your FC is too low for your CYA and you have an algae bloom starting.

To truly eradicate the algae, you have to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

+1 ^^^^^ to everything Jason said. It could also be when you last had the swamp you didn't get everything killed off.
Order the test kit. I recommend the TF100 with the XL option. You will get more of the reagents you need to SLAM the pool.

I had a test kit when I put in an in ground pool 8 years ago. Ended up buying test strips, because they are quick and easy to read. When I moved to a house where an in ground pool was not possible, I installed an above ground pool. I have been using test strips, because my friends down the road have used test strips for 20 plus years and their pool is always beautiful......but he is also a chemistry teacher. I teach Kindergarten, so I guess that is where I am lacking (haha). Where is the best place to order a test kit? Also, is this test kit going to tell me what the crud on the floor of my pool is, and how to get rid of it? After dealing with it for over a year, I am weary.

Also, is this test kit going to tell me what the crud on the floor of my pool is, and how to get rid of it?
No, but it will allow you to learn how to take care of your pool water so you don't have the problem anymore.
After dealing with it for over a year, I am weary.
This is a very serious pool forum with serious people giving serious, accurate answers. If you're weary we can help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I received my kit last night. Here are my results.
pH 7.8
CL 5.1
FC .5
CC .5
Calcium 275 ppm
TA 100
CYA 45
I have left the pool alone this week instead of trying to constantly vacuum the the stuff from the bottom of the pool. It is growing. As I said, it has been there since last summer, and no matter what treatment I use, how much chlorine I use, or what I do, it always comes back.
IMG_2947.JPGIMG_2945.jpgIMG_2944.jpg

I have thought about sand. A guy who works on pools, pumps, filters, etc. says that I would be able to feel the sand between my fingers if it were coming from the filter. I don't feel anything. The water is very clear. I just always have this stuff on the bottom.

Do the pictures look like algae to you?

I had a similar problem the last few years. I had let my FC get too low. Looks similar to what I was getting, dead algae. When trying to vacuum it up it scatters are re-settles later. Or it doesn't seem to get picked up by the filer.
You need to SLAM, most importantly Maintain. Keep that level up. Also, I set up a siphon with a garden hose directly to waste and pulled that stuff right out of the pool. I seemed to get better results at getting rid of that fine material.

Shock level for you is ~18 for CYA of 45. I would get it there and keep it there to see if that helps clear it up.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.