Annoying "dirt" on pool floor HELP!

Looks exactly what I have battled last year. I had a CYA that was WAY high due to some bad advice from a pool store before switching to the trouble free pool method. SLAM it making sure to measure carefully with your new kit to capture any overnight chlorine loss measurements. I have a sand filter but opted to vacuum straight to discharge as I needed to replace lots water to get the CYA down to a reasonable level. It does go away after a successful SLAM, my pool is proof of that.

The pictures are a classic example of dead algae. Now, you have to vacuum, brush, filter the dead algae out of your pool.

More importantly, you need to SLAM the pool to kill the remaining live algae in your pool (although you may not see it).

Rick and Stratty have both given very helpful posts........you need chlorine and you need to follow the SLAM process. Ask questions along the way........ we'll all help.

graler said:
I have similar patches that brush away and resettle. Tests show no signs of cc so the water is great. I did this hose trick this morning. We will see if it keeps them from coming back.

CCs are only one kind of problem. Very often algae will not result in higher CC levels. I'd ask for a full set of test results, but then we would be hijacking this thread ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GJW,

You are losing focus with the siphon.....You need to SLAM the pool.

1. Do you have a vacuum or auto-vac? I assume you do.

2. Do you understand that when you clean or vac, the little bit of chlorine in your pool kills some algae but not all That dead algae then settles to the floor and you get that out, then more is killed and it settles again. This is a cycle that will continue until you SLAM your pool.

Can you post another set of test results and then prepare to SLAM?

You posted 5.1 FC on your last test. that is incorrect. You should be posting in .5 ppm increments..... 5.0, 5.5 6.0. etc.

Yeah, it siphons the water out ... and you move the end in the pool around on the floor and suck the stuff off the floor ... they were "vacuuming" to waste using the siphon.

I already SLAMmed the pool. All levels are good. FC is still higher than it should be, but I think that's the way it should be right now.....if I am understanding everything correctly. I was just trying to make sure I was understanding the siphon idea correctly. Things are looking better. I vacuumed much less today than yesterday. Things are improving :).

When you SLAM the pool, there is an endpoint. It is when....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

You have algae both dead and alive in your pool so you fail the part about sparkling pool water.
pH 7.8
CL 5.1
FC .5
CC .5
Calcium 275 ppm
TA 100
CYA 45

I see your FC now of .5 ppm What is CL 5.1

Yeah, it siphons the water out ... and you move the end in the pool around on the floor and suck the stuff off the floor ... they were "vacuuming" to waste using the siphon.

Yes, the reason I suggested this is when I vacuum, sometimes it just seems to stir up the fine dead algae and it doesn't get picked up by the filter... OR my cartridge filter is not picking up that material so well as it is too fine.
Either way, a siphon with a garden hose will allow you to manually go around and suck that stuff up without dispersing it and it will flow directly out of the pool. I recommended a garden hose as it will take less water from the pool, using a regular size vacuum hose will work great but will remove water really fast.

Most importantly, we all need to insure we SLAM when we get stuff like this. The siphon process just gets rid of the dead algae easier for me, but you'll eventually get it all if you continue to SLAM .

GJW

How do things looks for you? I've been following this thread. I have virtually the same issue. Clear water, my FC and CYA are in proper range, zero CC but every day I have one patch on the bottom of the pool (in the exact same spot) that looks very similar to what you have.

I raised my chlorine to slam level last night. And it was in the high 40's here last night. Hoping both of those factors helped. If not, I'll try the full SLAM process. Unfortunetly I didn't get an opportunity to check my chlorine level first thing this morning so I'm not sure if I ate up any chlorine over night.

I still have some "trash" in the middle of the pool floor. That is where everything collects anyway. That's lots better than having "dirt patches" all over the pool floor. So...the short answer is yes things are much better. Good luck to you getting rid of yours.BTW I did do a full SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.