Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: losing fc

1. Back To Top    #1

losing fc

Any help would be great. Losing 4.5 ppm FC over past few says after losing 2.5 for first couple weeks. CYA 70. CC 0. PH 7.6. FC at 5.5 end of day til one gallon of bleach bumps to 10. Vinyl siding. 18 x 36. Approx 19500 gallons. Clear and no algae. Any suggestions or clues i could use?
    RJT17

2. Back To Top    #2

losing fc

It's not uncommon to lose 2-3 ppm of FC per day.
    If I'm understanding your post correctly your losing 4.5 over a few days which would be fine.
    You can check if there is organics consuming FC by doing an OCLT Test.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: losing fc

Normal losses are aprox 2-3 per day. How sure are you of this CYA level? Did you use the pool store or strips, or your own TFPC approved test kit to get that number?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

My apologies. I am losing 4.5 ppm daily. I know my CYA can still stand to come down but i had started at 120 after buying my house. Last summer on average i lost 3.5 ppm but i know that was attributed to the CYA being through the roof. I was hoping the 2.5 a day i was losing after the CYA would be the norm but again the past few days ive been losing 4.5
    RJT17

5. Back To Top    #5

I used the TFPC kit
    RJT17

6. Back To Top    #6

I used the TFPC kit
    RJT17

7. Back To Top    #7

As the CYA comes down, you will actually lose more FC to the sun.

Sounds like there might be something lurking in your water. I suggest raising the FC level and Performing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

What has your sun and temperatures been during that time?
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree with Jason do the OCLT test to rule out if something is consuming FC. Post back your results and we can go from there.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Will do. Sunlight is directly on pool from sunup til 6ish. Then it gets a break from tree line. Temperatures outside have been pushing 90 and the pool temp is at 78-80. I will do the test tonight and post back. Thanks guys
    RJT17

11. Back To Top    #11

As Jason and others have said, it can't hurt to run an OCLT just to rule out any nasty stuff, but I know that my pool consumes probably double the chlorine at 80 degrees or higher than it does at 60-70.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Update. Did not lose any FC after overnight test. FC at 10. Same as last night. CC 0. Any other ideas or am I relegated to a gallon of bleach a day?
    RJT17

13. Back To Top    #13

Just a thought- are you sure of the strength of your chlorine? Some cheaper chlorine is less than the standard 8.25 % most common now. Dollar stores and the like sometimes have some as low as 3%. That's not a bargain y'know? Fresh chlorine is the strongest, old chlorine or chlorine exposed to outside elements loses potency.

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes it is 8.25. I buy walmart brand only and one gallon jacks up my ppms 4.5 each time. I keep the bleach in my laundry room on my shelf to avoid evaporation from heat. Thanks for the thought. Im just going to monitor for another week and see if this is just my fate this summer
    RJT17