Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer at walmart?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer at walmart?

Is the stabilizer at walmart any good to purchase?? Or should I be going to the pool store for this? No ingredients listed on the bag so couldn't tell if it was straight CYA or if there were any unwanted additives mixed in. Thanks!
    Legacy AG soft-sided pool (13'x21'x52"), 7,400 gallons I think?? (not sure how to determine this for sure...I've used poolmath but the pool is slightly irregular we have found), Pooline sand filter, 1 horsepower/1 speed pump, Pool installed within the last week and finished filling 4/26/15, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear SWG, & Splash a Round Pools Leisure automatic vac. 1st time pool owner wanting to avoid the pool stores!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer at walmart?

Many people find that the Walmart dissolves easier than other stabilizer. Check the ingredients ... it should be near 100% cyanuric acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The "bag" you say?.....I purchase mine in a 4lb. plastic cylinder looking jug there with a purple top. Says Stabilizer and conditioner on the front.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    The "bag" you say?.....I purchase mine in a 4lb. plastic cylinder looking jug there with a purple top. Says Stabilizer and conditioner on the front.
    Stabilizer comes in a jug. Are you sure it's stabilizer and not a bag of *Shock*?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Just got it home - it's a jug and says 100% cyanuric acid. Guess we will see how it does - thanks!
    Legacy AG soft-sided pool (13'x21'x52"), 7,400 gallons I think?? (not sure how to determine this for sure...I've used poolmath but the pool is slightly irregular we have found), Pooline sand filter, 1 horsepower/1 speed pump, Pool installed within the last week and finished filling 4/26/15, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear SWG, & Splash a Round Pools Leisure automatic vac. 1st time pool owner wanting to avoid the pool stores!

6. Back To Top    #6

thats what I use. works just fine.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought the one from Walmart too. It was a 4lb jug. Pool installs Thursday I'll be using it probably Friday or Saturday once pool fills. Says 100% on mine too.

24 ft round 52 in Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, Hayward S180T pump sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, Borates Added, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (Rincon/Savannah,GA)

8. Back To Top    #8

That's what I buy. HTH brand. Works great.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good the hear. Last time I got it at walmart it was 96%
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Same. Definitely took some time to dissolve in the sock placed in the skimmer, but it did the job just fine and was much cheaper than the pool store (NPS) right next door.
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

11. Back To Top    #11

Bought the HtH jug at Walmart last week. 96%. Dissolved nicely.
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I think the word is out here in OK, i went to both walmarts in town and no HTH CYA left on the shelf..... Had to get the more expensive from lowes...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

13. Back To Top    #13

Yea, 96% is fine. If you do the math the nig name Pools Store is still WAY high with their 98%.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem