Question about replastering and delamination

May 12, 2015
Edmond
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. We're presently renovating our 40 year old pool (coping, tile, plaster) and today after draining the pool and starting the demo process, our pool contractor told my wife that almost the entire surface of the pool was hollow and would need to be jackhammered out and replaced. From what I've read this is pretty common on old pools, but what I'm wondering is if this is a normal thing, or should I expect the price to go up from what he originally quoted me for the replastering job?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

You would have to ask him what he quoted. It is pretty common that it is all chipped out (that is what I would prefer), but it depends if that is what he was expecting and quoted you for.

Just word the question like you expect it to be covered. Like "Well that is included in the price you quoted me, right?" :D

Just word the question like you expect it to be covered. Like "Well that is included in the price you quoted me, right?" :D

I find this approach to situations highly effective. So many times I hear people asking "is that extra?" Huh??!!! Why would one ask it that way?

since the PB says the surface is "hollow" to me that meas the plaster has delaminated.
Im not a plaster expert by any means, but the delamination can be because of inadequate install in the first place, old age and what all else may cause the delamination. The remedy is to chip it all out.

On just a refinish the plaster, often the plaster isnt all chipped out, just coated over with a bonding agent and a thin coat of new plaster applied over the old.

You would really be better off, by removing all of the old plaster, instead of just getting a "skim" job.
Who knows how the current plaster was installed, or how many old layers might be under it.

I agree with the others though in how to question the PB about the cost of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.