Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will I need to Slam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will I need to Slam?

Hey there , Im new to this method of pool maintenance but not this site. I started stalking last year when I got fed up having issues with the (FROG). I have decided to start this method starting with opening this year. My Question is will I have to slam? We pulled our cover off Sunday, crystal clear water, some sediment on the bottom. My TF100 test kit will be here tomorrow for best test #. I have the basic chlorine, ph, And alkalinity drop test along with test strips that have CYA, fc, TC, PH, and alkalinity. So far the strips have been the same as with the drop test . first test I did showed alkalinity 180 and Ph 7.8, so I used ph down that I had on hand and the only other thing I have used was bleach. Test results today are CYA <50 ( the test goes from 0 to 150 the color shows in between 0 and 50 closer to 50.) Ph 7.2, TA 120, FC 7 , TC 7 . So every time I test the FC and TC are always the same. Thanks in advance for all the help.

PS: I will post most accurate results tomorrow when I get my TF100
    Seaspray Evolution CLX 15x30 AG , 13,500gal vinyl liner/ Pentair Dynamo 1.5 horse power pump/ SandDollar filter
    Dolphin vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will I need to Slam?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Based on what you wrote, it sure does not sound like there will be a need to SLAM ... assuming the CYA and FC numbers are close of course.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I just wasn't sure if slamming was to be done at opening if all the levels were in check.
    Seaspray Evolution CLX 15x30 AG , 13,500gal vinyl liner/ Pentair Dynamo 1.5 horse power pump/ SandDollar filter
    Dolphin vac

4. Back To Top    #4

Well it certainly never hurts to elevate you FC toward shock level and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to be sure there is nothing lurking. But, with a decent FC reading still, likely even that may not be needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I will make sure I do that. Thanks again
    Dolphin vac

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP! Sounds like you are well on your way to TFPC!

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read just in case you missed them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

So I just finished testing with the TF100.
    Results are as follows.
    cya-60
    FC-9
    CC-0
    TA-140
    PH- 7.5

I will post over night FC reading in the morning, if that's good I guess I can lower chlorine down and I'm good?

- - - Updated - - -

I am also going to recheck the CYA , that one's a doozie!
    Dolphin vac

8. Back To Top    #8

Those are your numbers after uncovering your pool for the 1st time since you closed it ?? The TA might be a bit high, but I'm impressed at the numbers for some reason
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

9. Back To Top    #9

When the cover came off on Sunday PH And TA where higher and added ph down and of course I have added bleach to keep algae at bay until I got my kit. But other than that, nada!
    Dolphin vac

10. Back To Top    #10

Looking pretty good
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

So FC this morning is 8. Guess I can start to level out the chlorine now?��
    Dolphin vac