Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High PH

1. Back To Top    #1

High PH

Is it normal for PH to creep high daily? I lower it just about daily.
    34x18 doughboy (desert springs) above ground. Has deep end, but don't know depth yet. Pool came with house (first season). 22in sand filter (250lbs sand)with 1.5hp two speed pump. Pentair MiniMax ch 200m heater.
    440 gallon Emerald spa. Currently a 3.6hp, 2 speed, 46y, 240volts motor. Changing to a 3hp, 2 speed, 56y, 240volt motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: High PH

How high is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you post a full set of numbers?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

pH rise is largely dependent on how often the jets are running, how much air you're introducing when the jets are running and mostly then your total alkalinity (TA). As Azgirl said:
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Fc 2
    cc 0
    ph >8.2
    ta 60
    cya 20

- - - Updated - - -

We are in out several times a day. Kids, what are gonna do?
    34x18 doughboy (desert springs) above ground. Has deep end, but don't know depth yet. Pool came with house (first season). 22in sand filter (250lbs sand)with 1.5hp two speed pump. Pentair MiniMax ch 200m heater.
    440 gallon Emerald spa. Currently a 3.6hp, 2 speed, 46y, 240volts motor. Changing to a 3hp, 2 speed, 56y, 240volt motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

TA looks like it's approaching a normal amount for a spa. In mine, I let the TA get to 40-50 and my pH rise slows by quite a bit. Higher than that and the pH rise is very quick, depending on how much I run the jets.

Let the TA live in the 40-50 range... before adding baking soda to bring back to 50-60. You'll have less pH rise, less acid use.

My fill water is 120 TA so I know the pain after a new fill of constant acid additions.
    Last edited by JVTrain; 05-12-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Update
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Good advise. I will have to test my fill water as well.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you still struggle with pH rise at 50 TA, you could add borates to attempt to stabilize pH some, but be sure that TA is 50-60 before adding borates. You can buy pH balanced borate solutions such as Gentle Spa to add borates easily. A cheaper but much more of a hassle method of adding borates is using borax and... acid. Because of the low volume of spas, it's not that expensive to add borates as a pH balanced product. Pools on the other hand, it's much more expensive to add pH balanced borates, so in pools people tend to add borates with the borax/acid method.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've read about borates and intend to add to pool and spa. I was looking at the boric acid at Dudadiesl.