crooked post - drain and move?

BellaBuggy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Bardstown KY
This pool is killing me! Overnight a problem developed. Pool has been filling since about 6pm on Saturday, shut off this morning. But this troubles me:

Everything is amazingly level...within 1/16th of an inch all the way around...but these two look dangerous to me. I feel it should be drained and reset, but I'd sure love to hear that I am wrong. :)

Thoughts?

Shut the pool off if you're still filling and call the installer. That needs fixed. There is *something* wrong.

Can you run a level on it to see if those post are plumb? If one is out, they may all be out.

Pumping it out now. Meanwhile the retaining wall is half built and deck guys start in the am, so the installer's job is getting a lot more tricky. Hope he gets it right this time. We've not even addressed yet who is paying for the water/sewage the second time around... :(

Actually no, but we didn't get a choice about that. ;) The deck is not fully surrounding, so it wouldn't have prevented the tear down. At any rate, we are crossing our fingers that this weekend is more productive than last. I'm thinking we would have been better off paying a babysitter for the kids and doing this ourselves. Although we wouldn't be nearly as fast, we also would have more control over each aspect, making sure it was done right the first time. Ah well, live and learn. (As I read here, experience is what you gain just after you needed it most! :))

Not yet, he is coming tomorrow. My husband had told him to come back and discuss the problems, but in the meantime the owner of the pool store where we purchased came out and he was appalled. Said that this guy is normally the best he's got and he's never seen one like this...he called the installer immediately and told him not to bother coming to talk about anything, he was draining it and it needed to be redone stat. Thankful that at least they're standing behind it. We have had SO many things going wrong lately (pool, car, house, etc) that we've been feeling like we have a black cloud hanging over us. I was afraid they'd try to tell us it was fine, the way our luck's been going!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At least the pool guy is standing behind it and going to make it right! We've seen some totally walk away from installs. You have a good pool guy.

I agree about the pool guy. His installer notsomuch. He was out here tonight and tried to play it off like we're morons, that these are only cosmetic issues, kept saying the pool is level (which I agree, it's amazingly level). But when I told him the posts weren't plumb he asked me what that meant! :shock:

Oh he re did the work, he was just crappy about it. Kept saying that he had worked 65 hours and his baby has pneumonia but he's here making this 'look pretty' for us. And never once did he apologize. HIS mistakes have cost us almost $1k so far, he should at least spit out an apology even if he didn't mean it! I was so angry I came in the house and let my husband handle it.

The pool is refilling now. The owner still has to bring us out the stairs, and I intend to tell him then how this went down. He has been fantastic but until he gets a new installer we could not recommend them.

And yes, how the heck do you do anything related to construction and not know what plumb is???

I'm no expert and most of the guys here know more than me but I did install my own pool and that looked downright dangerous. AGP's can collapse if not installed properly. Did you ever see that guy using a surveyor scope when he put it in? I had someone clear and level my land and he used a scope and then when I dug in my cap block for each post, I rented a scope and had my son go around to each one with the "stick" and made sure they were all level with each other. I obsessed about mine and probably was over anxious because I was doing it myself but a pro should know better and he certainly should know what "plumb" means.

Yes he did use the right equipment, and it was level, which he kept emphasizing was the only thing that matters. And heck, maybe it is, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. But the post leaning and bulging sure *looked* bad! ;)

I can't wait until this portion is behind us! :)

Meanwhile our AWESOME deck guys have been here working in the pouring rain today, and they have regular jobs too. Difference in work ethic I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.