Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH Swing/Acid use

1. Back To Top    #1

pH Swing/Acid use

Hello. This has been ongoing since pool install...My plaster/pebble pool is a year old now and I am still having to add acid about every other day due to high pH. Is this normal for anyone else? Here are my test results:

FC- 5
    pH-8.2 down to 7.4 with almost a half gallon of muriatic acid this morning
    TA- 60
    CH- 375(may be lower if "violet" counts as turning blue)
    CYA- 20( I added 2 lbs of stabilizer 2 weeks ago and still getting low result)

Just for fun, I tested with the strips just to compare and my pH ALWAYS reads the same, 7.2. Can't believe they can sell such worthless ****!
    I live in central Texas where the water is very hard and the pool was filled with well water, fyi.

This may be a dumb question but what happens to all of that acid? It cannot be good to have to add so much so often right? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Andrea
    35,000 gallon, IG pebble finish, cartridge filter, Pentair variable speed pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner, Spa, Slide and waterfall, construction complete June 1, 2014, TF-100 test kit, pool filled with Central Texas well water(very hard water)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH Swing/Acid use

Not that unusual. You can try keeping it closer to 7.6 and see if it levels out some there. What is your fill water TA?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Just tested fill water and it was 290. I try to get it to 7.5-7.6 but it lasts for only a day. I have no idea how to get it to level out anywhere close to that. Very frustrating!
    35,000 gallon, IG pebble finish, cartridge filter, Pentair variable speed pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner, Spa, Slide and waterfall, construction complete June 1, 2014, TF-100 test kit, pool filled with Central Texas well water(very hard water)

4. Back To Top    #4

With fill water TA at 290 ... how did you get your pool TA down to 60?

Or did you accidentally test your tap water for CH?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have no idea! I tested for TA and it took 29 drops to change it to red. It is very possible I did something wrong though. Lol.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would recheck the pool TA then as 60ppm is surprisingly low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Is TA not affected by the addition of acid? Because I have added a LOT of acid over the last year.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by alright_alright_alright View Post
    Is TA not affected by the addition of acid? Because I have added a LOT of acid over the last year.

Does your spa spillover run as default? Acid + aeration lowers TA...(oversimplified).

I am having the same experience as you. I add approx 25oz MA every 2 days to keep my pH around 7.4. My fill water is also high like yours. (I don't remember the actual numbers on the fill water, but the pH is 8.0-8.2. My TA is 50.....if it drops any more I'll have to fix that.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

9. Back To Top    #9

Acid will lower the TA, but people with fill water that high rarely are able to get it that low in the pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes we have a spillover plus we have the slide and waterfall that we turn on when we are using the pool. And bubblers in the beach area.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

my theory is that's the cause. (It's what I blame @ my house).
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

12. Back To Top    #12

Fill water TA and Aeration. High Fill water TA and pH are just harder to deal with.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Also, when I had my little walmart pool a couple of years ago (from same fill water) I only added acid once all summer. Of course I didn't have the good test kit. Ha. But the pool looked great.