Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build - League City, TX - Help and opinions welcome

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build - League City, TX - Help and opinions welcome

Howdy y'all--

Another Houston area pool build! I have edited this post because we've signed with our pool builder and this is what we are doing.

My pool and patio design

Approx: 29' x 19' - Gunite in-ground pool
    Est 19,600 gal
    Chlorinator in line feeder
    2 skimmers - 5 returns
    Upgraded to 3" PVC
    3 ton moss-rock waterfall
    2 ton weeping wall
    1.5 HP pump for waterfall (weeping rock tied to Pentair multi speed pump)
    2 LED lights in pool, 2 LED in waterfall, 1 LED in spa
    Spa - 6 jets - 1HP blower motor
    Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless

25' x 16' Outdoor kitchen/patio
    Cedar posts wrapped in stacked stone
    Tongue and groove stained ceiling
    2 ceiling fans
    17 linear foot kitchen counter with raised bar
    Ice maker, Outdoor fridge, sink, 32" grill and Big Green Egg

(EDIT: I took out my questions because I've got all those answered thanks to y'all)
    Last edited by Flounder32; 05-12-2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Hope pictures fixed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build - League City, TX - Help and opinions welcome

I see no pictures.

1. The need pipe size is a function of the flow rate and the layout. Using a larger pipe for the spa is usually a good idea. If the skimmers and drains are run separately to the pump, then the pipe does not have to be as big.

2. Likely 3 would be fine. 5 vs 6 is negligible.

3. Depends how many people you are going to have in the spa. And if the plumbing is done properly, a blower is not required.

4. With a spa, you need a heater. Unless you do not want it to be a "hot tub". A spa without a heater would be an oddity. Not cheap.

5. Had one at previous house, would not likely pay to have another one installed. They are very inefficient since you have to run a pump at high speeds for a good amount of time to try to keep the pool clean. Getting an electric robot would be much cheaper up front and from a running point of view.

Realize that the in-line chlorine feeder is generally not recommended or needed as it will cause chemistry problems.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much for the info. I'm out flying right now and can't try again to post the pictures until tomorrow.

The heater question was referring to the pool. I'll have a 400,000 BTU heater for the spa but I guess I thought it was only for the spa. Would it heat the pool too?

(Edited for typo)

4. Back To Top    #4

I assume you mean a 400,000 BTU heater ... and yes you could use that to heat the pool is the plumbing allows it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey Flounder. I'm just outside San Antonio. Had our pool for 2 years now. Water is currently a bit chilly, but not for long. I'll still get in it, but just takes a little time to adjust - for now. My wife has times where she begs for a heater until mid-May, then she realizes the water temp is perfect. Basically it's good from May - Oct here. For what it's worth, our fiberglass has 6 returns, but then it only has one skimmer. Sure do like the idea of those rock water-features. Oh, and as for the in-line chlorinator ..... follow this site (pool school) and you'll never use it. You can have it installed as a selling point if you ever move, but you'll learn later via the TFP methods that using those darn chlorine tablets are more trouble than they're worth. Try posting the pics again (maybe link from PhotoBucket), they didn't come through the first time. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, I will give it all a shot,

- One builder uses 3" PVC and the other uses 1.5-2". What do I really need?

I would say 2 inch minimum, 3 inch is likely not needed, my 35 year old pool only has 1.5 inch 2 returns and 1 skimmer.

- One builder says 5 returns (the one with 3"PVC) and the other says 6 returns.

In my limited experience your area along the bay gets fairly strong seasonal winds, and often daily wind shifts, so maintaining circulation and having a down wind skimmer may be a challenge, but I feel skimmer placement will be more important than the number of returns.

- Is 4 jets enough in the spa? Is a 1HP blower enough?

depends, as Jason said, no blower is needed if it is designed right, unless you like that cold air bubble effect.

- Neither builder brought up buying a pool heater. Do I need one here in Houston? How much are they generally? Worth it?

Depends on how long of swim season you want, cost of operation will be lowest with natural gas at the moment, Solar is also a viable option if you have a place to mount the panels, but being near the coast I am not sure I would suggest them since it gets very windy there every couple of years.

- Both builders pushing in floor cleaning system - One prices it at $9000, the other at $5000 (brand and model looks the same to me) Even at $5000, I'm not sure I can justify the cost. Thoughts?

I would never consider it, buy a robot for 1/10th the price and replace it every few years.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the replies! I am definitely planning on using the TFP method!

Here are some pictures of the backyard in it's current (horrible) condition.

This is where my pool equipment pad will go. I plan on putting a gate here blocking off this as a utility area and filling it with river rocks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Kitchen/Bar design is great - cant wait to see this go in.

I would assume would automatically have a heater? if not I would suggest one as it expands the use of the pool

We had a builder quote a in floor system but decided against it with other users experiences. Some love it, some hate it. Robots seem to do well and are far less expensive.

keep us posted!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
    Kitchen/Bar design is great - cant wait to see this go in.

I would assume would automatically have a heater? if not I would suggest one as it expands the use of the pool

We had a builder quote a in floor system but decided against it with other users experiences. Some love it, some hate it. Robots seem to do well and are far less expensive.

keep us posted!
    Never mind. I see you were talking about cleaner
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know several Houston area pool owners. Every single one said the pool heater was a waste of money. Typically it is used exactly once during the first season. They see the gas bill and never turn it on again.
    Partially operational.
    17,000 g, SWG, tanning shelf, bubbler, slide grotto, Prism Matrix - Deep Blue Sea, 2x Hayward Ecostar VSP (one filter, swg, and bubbler; one slide and grotto).

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Did they all have spas? If I lived in Tahiti and had a spa it would be heated. Full disclosure, I'm from MD and don't have a spa.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

In my previous house that had an '80s 40k Gal pool & Spa, it had a heater.
    We used it exactly once on the Pool.
    We used it regularly in the non-summer months on the Spa.

Now we are finishing construction at our present home on our Pool & Spa, I expect to use the heater exclusively on the Spa in the same manner.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

We went and picked out the colors yesterday.

Plaster - WetEdge Satin Antigua (love this color)

Beach entry - WedEdge Satin Northshore Gold (sand color)

Our stacked stone - Mulitcolor with the Wister flagstone underneath that will be the coping

Our tile (although is much more blue than in this picture)

Granite counter tops

Decking will be multi-colored custom overlay in a pattern like this (colors choosen on the day they finish the deck)

14. Back To Top    #14

That's going to look good.

16,800 Gal IG, Luna Quartz Aruba, Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 4x160 Inteliflow VS Pump, Pentair Intellachlor SWG, Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 HP Pentair WF, 2 HP Pentair WF supply Water Features, Easytouch Control System

15. Back To Top    #15

Should look great
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

Here is a YouTube video that the builder made of the project: http://youtu.be/r8R1RH-Cq8U

17. Back To Top    #17

Wow! That's gorgeous!

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks! We are waiting for the engineers to submit the plans to the city. All the waiting is not going to be fun.

19. Back To Top    #19

Any progress on your pool approval?

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

20. Back To Top    #20

Hi Jannylee!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've been busy with work and the pool has basically been at a standstill waiting for the PB to finish engineering designs and the getting the city and HOA approvals. A miscommunication between the PB and the power company over the release from an aerial easement set us back 2 weeks for no good reason. I finally stepped in and took care of it (no thanks to the PB) and now we are supposed only a business day or two away from approval from the city. Nothing beyond that is even scheduled and I'm starting to pull my hair out (my wife too). Communication from the PB hasn't been the best unfortunately. I'm hoping to at least see someone in my backyard spraying the grass and putting out flags this week, but with this pace I'm not holding my breathe.

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast