New Pool Owner--Questions about CYA

Apr 27, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new pool owner and learning the ropes right now. I am located in Phoenix, AZ. I have read Pool School a few times and am going to order a TF-100 kit.

In the mean time I have been going to my local pool store to get the water tested (according to everything I've read here, this is a bad idea).

The CYA levels are above 100. Around 120. I mentioned this to the pool store, but they said here in Phoenix that CYA is always going to be higher compared to the rest of the country and not to worry.

Can anyone confirm this is correct? I am especially interested to hear from other Phoenix residents.

Thank you!

While it's true that in hotter, full sun climates, CYA levels should be higher, that's a bit higher than recommended. See Chlorine/CYA Chart

How high your CYA should be depends on your type of chlorination as well. Bleach or SWCG?

When you get your kit, dilute your pool water 1:1 with tap water to get a more accurate CYA reading. Multiply the result by 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.