Help size my pool!

Pinch

May 12, 2015
NY
Hello,
I've been struggling with my in-ground vinyl pool since I purchased my house a few years ago.
One of the biggest problems I've had over the years is I don't know how big (gallons) my pool is!

There was no documentation on the pool left from the previous owner.
All I have for accurate measurements is the land survey that was conducted when I purchased the house.

I'm not sure how deep the deep end is but I'm 5'10 and if I stand flat foot in the deep end and extend my arms straight up I cant touch the surface of the water.

Can anyone assist with sizing my pool with the attached measurements?

Some pool store college kid guestimated it to be 45k gallons.
I'm trying to avoid pool stores this year as much as possible ;)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Capture.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We really need the depth profile, but assuming it is 8' to around 3.5' ... I would put it around 26k.

What are you talking to the pool store kids for? We can help way more than he can :D

Use your pool pole starting in the deep end to figure out the depth of the pool. Your going to get wet doing this or maybe if you have a large raft you could stay dry. Submerge your pole at the deepest part of the pool and mark the pole or use a rubber band and adjust it to the water level on your pole. Then take a tape measure and measure the distance from the end of the pole to the marked area. Do this every few feet and record the numbers.

I'm traveling for business next week but plan to open her up on Memorial Day (fun!).

I have a mesh loop lock cover on my pool. Every year when I open it it's completely green.

Typically I vacuum to waste to get all the settled green stuff out. Even though the pool has a ton of water in it right now I usually need to add the garden hose in it to get it to the correct level after all the vacuuming to waste.

Then I add the $300+ worth of chemicals the local pool store kid tells me I need to purchase.

What would be the suggested course of action this year?

Well ...

Have you discovered Pool School yet? While on your trip I would start learning with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You should also order one of the Recommended Test Kits soon so that you have it by when you want to open. The TF-100 is the best option and add the XL option to get free shipping since you will need it to clear the pool.

When you open, circulate for an hour (after vacuuming if you want) and then run a full set of tests to know what you need to adjust.

With algae, you will have to SLAM the pool. Check out these:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

I can nearly guarantee you will spend less than $300 clearing up the pool including the cost for the test kit

I already have a TF-100 test kit on order. It should arrive next week

I've read most of the Pool School stuff already. It's probably a good idea for me to re-read it a couple times to get more familiar with all the lingo. I look forward to not visiting that dam pool store this year!!

Thanks
Pinch

Fantastic!!! Sounds like you are off to a good start :goodjob:

It is actually a little easier to understand once you get your hands on the test kit and start "doing" instead of "reading".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A little update of where I'm at.
I'm going with jblizzle's guesstimate of 26k gallons

Took my cover off on Monday and it was pretty much a swamp. I vacuumed to waste as best I could, refilling to pool as needed.

FC is zero.
I then tested the CYA and it was around 80.
I did a few partial drains/refills.
Re-tested CYA and I'm at 40

Next I tested the PH and it was pretty low, lower then the 7.0 bottom reading on the tester.
Last night I added 2 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax

This morning I tested PH and it was at 7.4
I then added 4 gallons of bleach (8.25, 121).
The PoolMath calculator request 5.1 jugs but I only had 4 on hand.
However I did add 1 gallon of liquid chlorine that I had from last season (not sure if that was a good move or not)

I know I probably should have waited till tonight to add the bleach but I really didn't want to waste another day with no chemicals in the pool.

Fingers crossed!:???:

Just an update (and more a way to help me track)...

Tuesday night around 8PM I added 1st dosage of bleach to get to FC 16 (5 gallons of bleach)
Wednesday night around 8PM tested FC at 3, added the recommend dosage of 4 gallons of bleach to get back to FC 16
Thursday night around 8PM tested FC at 7, added the recommend dosage of 3 gallons of bleach to get back to FC 16.
Surprisingly this morning at 7AM (11 hours after adding bleach) tested FC at 16.

The water is pretty clear with a light green tint in the deep end. It definitely needs a good vacuum job which I'm planning to do tomorrow morning.

So to do a quick cost analysis:
12 - gallons of bleach @ $2.84 ($34.08)
2 - 20 Mule Team Borax @ $3.99 ($7.98)
Total money spent on chemicals so far this season: $42.06 :D

This time last year I dropped over $400 at the pool store!

Hey jblizzle,
I don't believe the SLAM process is complete either... I'm just surprised at how easy it's been going.
Much easier and cheaper then previous years.

I was a bit surprised this morning though at the FC level.
It will be interesting to see what it's at tonight.

Keep SLAMming. Also, no need to open to a green pool each spring. Open earlier and close later. Algae doesn't grow below about 50 degrees. And you can also pop the cover open on a corner and add some bleach and stir in between. We are 2 for 2 opening to crystal clear water in the spring...just a pile of worms and a few leaves at the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.