Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help size my pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help size my pool!

Hello,
    I've been struggling with my in-ground vinyl pool since I purchased my house a few years ago.
    One of the biggest problems I've had over the years is I don't know how big (gallons) my pool is!

There was no documentation on the pool left from the previous owner.
    All I have for accurate measurements is the land survey that was conducted when I purchased the house.

I'm not sure how deep the deep end is but I'm 5'10 and if I stand flat foot in the deep end and extend my arms straight up I cant touch the surface of the water.

Can anyone assist with sizing my pool with the attached measurements?

Some pool store college kid guestimated it to be 45k gallons.
    I'm trying to avoid pool stores this year as much as possible

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Capture.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help size my pool!

Welcome to TFP!!!

We really need the depth profile, but assuming it is 8' to around 3.5' ... I would put it around 26k.

What are you talking to the pool store kids for? We can help way more than he can
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

I agree of course, plenty of knowledge here. 45k is too high for that size for sure. No worries, we are here to help if you're interested, just let us know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Use your pool pole starting in the deep end to figure out the depth of the pool. Your going to get wet doing this or maybe if you have a large raft you could stay dry. Submerge your pole at the deepest part of the pool and mark the pole or use a rubber band and adjust it to the water level on your pole. Then take a tape measure and measure the distance from the end of the pole to the marked area. Do this every few feet and record the numbers.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm traveling for business next week but plan to open her up on Memorial Day (fun!).

I have a mesh loop lock cover on my pool. Every year when I open it it's completely green.

Typically I vacuum to waste to get all the settled green stuff out. Even though the pool has a ton of water in it right now I usually need to add the garden hose in it to get it to the correct level after all the vacuuming to waste.

Then I add the $300+ worth of chemicals the local pool store kid tells me I need to purchase.

What would be the suggested course of action this year?

6. Back To Top    #6

Buying a good test kit should be at the top of the list. Second would be a bunch of bleach. Have you read through all the pool school articles?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Well ...

Have you discovered Pool School yet? While on your trip I would start learning with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You should also order one of the Recommended Test Kits soon so that you have it by when you want to open. The TF-100 is the best option and add the XL option to get free shipping since you will need it to clear the pool.

When you open, circulate for an hour (after vacuuming if you want) and then run a full set of tests to know what you need to adjust.

With algae, you will have to SLAM the pool. Check out these:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

I can nearly guarantee you will spend less than $300 clearing up the pool including the cost for the test kit
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I already have a TF-100 test kit on order. It should arrive next week

I've read most of the Pool School stuff already. It's probably a good idea for me to re-read it a couple times to get more familiar with all the lingo. I look forward to not visiting that dam pool store this year!!

Thanks
    Pinch

9. Back To Top    #9

Fantastic!!! Sounds like you are off to a good start

It is actually a little easier to understand once you get your hands on the test kit and start "doing" instead of "reading".
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on taking control of your pool!

Please update your signature with your pool info as shown here.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

A little update of where I'm at.
    I'm going with jblizzle's guesstimate of 26k gallons

Took my cover off on Monday and it was pretty much a swamp. I vacuumed to waste as best I could, refilling to pool as needed.

FC is zero.
    I then tested the CYA and it was around 80.
    I did a few partial drains/refills.
    Re-tested CYA and I'm at 40

Next I tested the PH and it was pretty low, lower then the 7.0 bottom reading on the tester.
    Last night I added 2 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax

This morning I tested PH and it was at 7.4
    I then added 4 gallons of bleach (8.25, 121).
    The PoolMath calculator request 5.1 jugs but I only had 4 on hand.
    However I did add 1 gallon of liquid chlorine that I had from last season (not sure if that was a good move or not)

I know I probably should have waited till tonight to add the bleach but I really didn't want to waste another day with no chemicals in the pool.

Fingers crossed!

12. Back To Top    #12

Did you get the test kit delivered yet? You now need to maintain the shock FC level to follow the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, yest kit received.
    I will grab some more bleach on my way home from work tonight and test FC

Planning to keep FC at 16.

Thanks for the help!

14. Back To Top    #14

Just an update (and more a way to help me track)...

Tuesday night around 8PM I added 1st dosage of bleach to get to FC 16 (5 gallons of bleach)
    Wednesday night around 8PM tested FC at 3, added the recommend dosage of 4 gallons of bleach to get back to FC 16
    Thursday night around 8PM tested FC at 7, added the recommend dosage of 3 gallons of bleach to get back to FC 16.
    Surprisingly this morning at 7AM (11 hours after adding bleach) tested FC at 16.

The water is pretty clear with a light green tint in the deep end. It definitely needs a good vacuum job which I'm planning to do tomorrow morning.

So to do a quick cost analysis:
    12 - gallons of bleach @ $2.84 ($34.08)
    2 - 20 Mule Team Borax @ $3.99 ($7.98)
    Total money spent on chemicals so far this season: $42.06

This time last year I dropped over $400 at the pool store!

15. Back To Top    #15

That does not sound like the SLAM process to me. With only one test a day. Did you pass the 3 criteria to stop? Did you test the FC at night after the chlorine addition ?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey jblizzle,
    I don't believe the SLAM process is complete either... I'm just surprised at how easy it's been going.
    Much easier and cheaper then previous years.

I was a bit surprised this morning though at the FC level.
    It will be interesting to see what it's at tonight.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ah, ok. Keep it up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Keep SLAMming. Also, no need to open to a green pool each spring. Open earlier and close later. Algae doesn't grow below about 50 degrees. And you can also pop the cover open on a corner and add some bleach and stir in between. We are 2 for 2 opening to crystal clear water in the spring...just a pile of worms and a few leaves at the bottom.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!